Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am an Indian National living in Nigeria. I am stuck even before the the first step of Vetassess assessment - i.e. notarization of documents

Since, I am not living in India, I am finding it difficult to get my documents notarized.

Can anyone guide me on this? Can I get my documents notarized from the Indian High Commission?
Does the Indian High Commission stamp have all the details required for an acceptable notarization
- Name of certifier
- Contact address
- Contact number
- etc

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi MeCo,

actually, you don't need "notarized" copies but "certified" copies as described in the VETASSESS Required Documents Checklist.

Getting certified copies in Australia is easy - a Justice of the Peace, policeman, pharmacist, dentist or even school principal will usually certify documents for free. Notaries and lawyers can also issue certified copies but that can become costly. More information: VETASSESS - Certifying documents

Since you are outside Australia it is much harder - and expensive - to get certified copies in the expected format. After all, the laws who can certify documents and how the certification text must be worded vary a lot between countries. Basically, you have two options:

A) Get certified copies in the local language/format and then get certified translations of the certification text. That's what I did because Austrian authorities (including lawyers, notaries and court officials) are only allowed to issue certification texts in German. If you need to translate some documents to English anyway, get the certified copies first and then get certified translations of the copies. That way the translator can translate everything, including the notary seal etc.

B) Contact the nearest Australian or Indian embassy/high commission and ask if they offer notary services or can recommend a lawyer/notary who prepares certified copies in the format you need. I tried that too but never heard back from the embassies, so I ended up with option A.

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply.

Since I am not in India (home country) i am finding it a bit difficult to pursue option 1.

Option 2 is what I am banking on!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi espresso,

most notaries will not issue certified copies of documents they cannot read because they are in a different language, so yes, that could be a problem. If the documents are in English, you should be able to consult a Nigerian notary as well. You don't have to get them from or in your home country! The notary only compares if the original and the copy have the same contents, there is no attestation that the "original" was genuine.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply.

Since I am not in India (home country) i am finding it a bit difficult to pursue option 1.

Option 2 is what I am banking on!
The Indian High Commission has an office in Abuja. You can go there to ask for their notary public service or better still call them before going there.

Here are the contact details:

15, Rio ***** Close, Off Yedseram Street, Maitama, Abuja.

Tel. +234-7080622800-4 (5 lines), Fax. +234-7080622805

HTH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dear Mods,
My husband's contracting documents for work are all online and do not have a specific signature (as there as short term consultancy contracts)-Its all edocuments. Do I have to notarize those documents as well to upload them for proof of work for 189. Please advise

Thanks
suva10

·
Registered
69 Posts
Suva: notarisation is endorsing documents that they are original, hence need all documents(online/otherwise) to be notarised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts