Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I had a query regarding notarising academic documents from India , in UK.

The notary in UK was concerned that the documents from India need to be notarised in India as he is unable to verify the authenticity of the Indian Academic documents.

I had already raised this question in another comment , and a member did inform me that this can be done and the documents need just to be stamped as "Certified True Copy of the Original"

I informed this back to the notary and they asked if I had an email from ACS saying the same .

Just wanted to know if anyone has done this in a different country. Am sure there would be many people in here.

And if there is any documentation that says this is okay. The ACS guideline for applicants has a section on certified documents . But that does not in particular mention about nortrising a document from one country in another. But then again it doesnt particularly mention not allowing it either..So is it safe to assume it is Okay. ???? :confused2:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I had a query regarding notarising academic documents from India , in UK.

The notary in UK was concerned that the documents from India need to be notarised in India as he is unable to verify the authenticity of the Indian Academic documents.

I had already raised this question in another comment , and a member did inform me that this can be done and the documents need just to be stamped as "Certified True Copy of the Original"

I informed this back to the notary and they asked if I had an email from ACS saying the same .

Just wanted to know if anyone has done this in a different country. Am sure there would be many people in here.

And if there is any documentation that says this is okay. The ACS guideline for applicants has a section on certified documents . But that does not in particular mention about nortrising a document from one country in another. But then again it doesnt particularly mention not allowing it either..So is it safe to assume it is Okay. ???? :confused2:

If you have original copy of your academic certificates, you can just provide the colour scans- no need to notorize. Seniors may confirm this.

Whenever a photocopy is notorized, it only means it is a certified copy of the original, and the certifier does not go into verifying whether the original is genuine.
The ACS application guideline clearly states that photocopies to be certified as "Certified True Copy of the Original".

I had certified my passport copies overseas and the "Justice of Peace" (equivalent to Special Exe Magistrate in India), only verified that the photocopy matched with the original passport. Verifying whether my passport was genuine was beyond his capacity.

You should try talking to another certifier/notary, or ask your folks in India to do it for you. There are people who'd do it without even looking at the original

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou @evangelist.

I did check with another notary. They said the same thing.

I have printed out a copy of the guideline page from ACS where it states that it just needs to be "certified true copy of orginal" . Hoping to convince him with that.

Anyway planning to take all documents there tomorrow , hopefully things will pan out.

Thanks,

S

Reactions: evangelist

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update for everyone who took time out to help me :)

I convinced the notary, gave him an extract from the guidelines and got my documents notarised. I submitted my ACS on 18th July. Today Morning (20/07 UK - 6 am) It is in stage 4. Keeping my finger crossed.

I have IELTS scheduled for 23rd July . Am now more inclined to PTE because i read that it has faster processing and some people said it is a tad bit easier than IELTS.. Is that correct ?? Anyway, now that I have already paid for my IELTS i guess i have to see it through... :(

Thankyou again for your help !!! :) Lets see how it goes from here.. :) :)

Regards,
S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts