Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Anyone have a idea where to buy curtains/blinds which are not to expensive. Im not planning to stay for that long in my new appartment and as such i don't want to spend to much on it. (or at least more than needed) :)

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Anyone have a idea where to buy curtains/blinds which are not to expensive. Im not planning to stay for that long in my new appartment and as such i don't want to spend to much on it. (or at least more than needed) :)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Good places to try are IKEA and Home Centre (main branch is in MoE, but they have stores in various malls across the city).

teuchter

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ikea will make made to measure curtains here. The maintenance guys in our building will do things like put up curtain rails, hang pictures etc for a small charge. Not sure where you live but might be worth asking.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
ikea has some ready made curtains (mostly the kind that goes on a pole) and they can cut them for you if needed.

they also have a selection of fabrics in case you don't like what they have ready made, or if you need them to have hooks (i.e. if you already have a curtail rail installed)

I got some curtains from them a few months ago for my living room - not super cheap (around 700dhs) but cheaper than getting them custom done for sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just had vertical blinds made at a place called 'BestFull Curtains' at Dragonmart. I installed them myself but they offer installation for a fee.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Look for secondhand curtains as they might fit your appartment. With so many people moving all the time, there are loads available at very low prices.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ive used this guy twice, once in an apartment on the palm & this time around in our villa in the ranches.......Cant fault either the quality or service :clap2:

Ali & his contact number is 050 9653722

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dragon Mart:

Not really cheap anymore and they are less willing to bargain. Eventually you will end up paying a reasonably high price for a quality curtain. But yes, there are some ready-made curtains good cheap but the quality is not that great.

Ikea:

Best deals I have seen so far. But the height of the ready-made curtain is limited to 210cm which is around the standard size. If you windows are less than 210cm, just go to ikea and pick up a ready-made one.. preferably one that runs on rings ... and get the rail etc ... and just give your building handyman 30-40 dhs to fix them ...

my windows were close to 270cm height and was forced to get them made and paid a bomb... :(

Home Center:

Also good place... but lacks choices .... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info Warrior,

We've been looking around most of the home centre shops, because its 3 sets of doors 240 high looks like i'll be just as well getting a blind company to come out and measure up for us !!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the info Warrior,

We've been looking around most of the home centre shops, because its 3 sets of doors 240 high looks like i'll be just as well getting a blind company to come out and measure up for us !!!

Craigabz, you are welcome...

Yes, 240cm is going to be a problem with ready-made curtains from Home Centre and Ikea .... I believe they have standard lengths of 210 cm.

If I remember correctly, Dragon Mart shops has rolls of curtains that you can get at any length you want... but width would be a problem ... unless the windows have standard widths (i think 150cm) ... :)

Yes, wooden blinds would look classy.. but I think the prices would still be a lil high...:)

Try to find a company in Satwa, same lane as Lal's Supermarket ... next to some pet stores ... they did a custom job for my windows 270(l) x 240(w) ... and it cost me 1,200 AED for 2 windows combined ...but i chose an expensive material .... but please do haggle with the prices, coz i saw them quoting higher to an western couple who walked into their shop while i was there... :) tried finding their number but unfortuantely don't have it... sorry... :)

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
:) Mr Warrior just pointed out the number one reason to get an asian or arabic friend... To be able to go in prior, pick what you want, then go back and tell the friend what you want and send them. Literally paid 3/4 of the price for my paintings from dragon mart, then what they quoted me.

Is it befriend an arab/indian day ???? :D

Pammy is gona love this.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.