Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a question for senior experts and Mod, Kindly guide me:

I am working since last 10yrs in Telecom Vendor (eg NSN/Ericsson/Alcatel) and applied to Engineers Australia to be assessed as Telecom Network Engineer.
I got a letter from EA that since my BSC degree is in Mechanical Engr. that i have two options
Option 1: Engineering Technologist (233914)
Option 2: Mechanical Engineer

I cannot apply as Mech Engg as my whole last 10 yrs experience is related to Telcos (2G/3G/4G nodes integration & Design as Engineer and Solution Architect) and Networking (Cisco/Juniper IP/MPLS routing, Security/Firewalls and Switches). So i opted for Engr Technologist 233914 and below is letter.

"Thank you for the application for an assessment of your engineering qualifications, and for the CDR you have provided.
I am pleased to advice that the competencies you have demonstrated taken in conjunction with your qualifications from ***** University awarded in *** 1999 have been assessed as meeting the current academic requirement for standing as an Engineering Technologist (Skill Level 1) in Australia. The appropriate Occupational classification in your case for migration purposes is Engineering Technologist ANZSCO 233914.
Your above qualification has been assessed as broadly comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree for the purposes of awarding points for qualifications under the General Skilled Migration points test."

As per EOI if i claim points for last 10yrs as Engg Technologist i get 65pts (189). Now the question - Should i go ahead and apply with this? or go for another assessment like ACS Computer Network and Systems Engineer - 263111 with RPL as that also seems relevant.

I don't want to make an expensive mistake as i'll be applying with family and will have to pay A$7k. Looking forward to seniors feedback.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi,

I am working since last 10yrs in Telecom Vendor (eg NSN/Ericsson/Alcatel) and applied to Engineers Australia to be assessed as Telecom Network Engineer.
I got a letter from EA that since my BSC degree is in Mechanical Engr. that i have two options

I cannot apply as Mech Engg as my whole last 10 yrs experience is related to Telcos (2G/3G/4G nodes integration & Design as Engineer and Solution Architect) and Networking (Cisco/Juniper IP/MPLS routing, Security/Firewalls and Switches). So i opted for Engr Technologist 233914 and below is letter.

"Thank you for the application for an assessment of your engineering qualifications, and for the CDR you have provided.
I am pleased to advice that the competencies you have demonstrated taken in conjunction with your qualifications from ***** University awarded in *** 1999 have been assessed as meeting the current academic requirement for standing as an Engineering Technologist (Skill Level 1) in Australia. The appropriate Occupational classification in your case for migration purposes is Engineering Technologist ANZSCO 233914.
Your above qualification has been assessed as broadly comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree for the purposes of awarding points for qualifications under the General Skilled Migration points test."

As per EOI if i claim points for last 10yrs as Engg Technologist i get 65pts (189). Now the question - Should i go ahead and apply with this? or go for another assessment like ACS Computer Network and Systems Engineer - 263111 with RPL as that also seems relevant.

I don't want to make an expensive mistake as i'll be applying with family and will have to pay A$7k. Looking forward to seniors feedback.
Hi friend,

I think this is fine. Because, engineering technologist is the one where the work experience is in connection with area different from what they studied. Taking your case into account, although you have educational qualification from mechanical engineering, you are no longer able to get skills assessment for mechanical engineer.

I also have a friend, who is also in similar situation. He also went for engineering technologist only. So, i strongly believe that it is ok to go with this occupation.

Regards,
Sathiya

Reactions: Obi1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the feedback Sathiya! Really appreciate it. Looking forward to some more seniors feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Points with Engineering Technologist ANZSCO 233914

Hi Mate, I have got a similar letter. I have option of Engineering Technologist ANZSCO 233914. Can you please tell me if this option will give me 15 points in PR?
I shalll be thankful to u

·
Registered
13 Posts
Need help on Engineering Technologist

Hey,

Even I am facing the same situation.

My degree is in Electronics and since last 5 years I am working in Electrical Industry.

a) First 2 years as Design Engineer in Electrical system design and implementation
b) Current 3 years into Technical Switchgear Sales, Low voltage Busduct design and execution for projects.

What do you suggest should I do for my profile?
Should I apply for engineering technologist?

Will I be able to claim 15 points for my work experience?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hey,

Even I am facing the same situation.

My degree is in Electronics and since last 5 years I am working in Electrical Industry.

a) First 2 years as Design Engineer in Electrical system design and implementation
b) Current 3 years into Technical Switchgear Sales, Low voltage Busduct design and execution for projects.

What do you suggest should I do for my profile?
Should I apply for engineering technologist?

Will I be able to claim 15 points for my work experience?
well, i recommend you to check the roles and responsibilities you performed in your current and previous jobs and compare them against that of engineering technologist occupation. You can do this by typing "engineering technologist description australia migration" in google. Now, if you find that the above job description matches with your roles, then you can apply for engineering technologist. For 5 years experience, you will get only 10 points. Only for 8 years' and above, you may get 15 points.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found following literature regarding Engineering Technologists...

" Analyses and modifies new and existing engineering technologies and applies them in the testing and implementation of engineering projects. Registration or licensing may be required"...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I found following literature regarding Engineering Technologists...

" Analyses and modifies new and existing engineering technologies and applies them in the testing and implementation of engineering projects. Registration or licensing may be required"...
if you think that the above description of engineering technologist matches with your current and previous jobs you did, then apply for this occupation for skills assessment. Generally, when you apply for skills assessment with the nominated occupation, Engineers australia analyzes your documents and work profile and they will give you the occupation you can apply for as well. I mean, for example, if you write "Electrical engineer" in nominated occupation for skills assessment, they may. after going through your documentation, provide you outcome with a different occupation, for instance, engineering technologist. It is also recommended to write to engineers australia on their email address about your situation and get the feedback from them before applying for skills assessment. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you think that the above description of engineering technologist matches with your current and previous jobs you did, then apply for this occupation for skills assessment. Generally, when you apply for skills assessment with the nominated occupation, Engineers australia analyzes your documents and work profile and they will give you the occupation you can apply for as well. I mean, for example, if you write "Electrical engineer" in nominated occupation for skills assessment, they may. after going through your documentation, provide you outcome with a different occupation, for instance, engineering technologist. It is also recommended to write to engineers australia on their email address about your situation and get the feedback from them before applying for skills assessment. Hope this helps.
Hi sathiyaseelan,

I have exactly the same situation as described by Obi1 (First Post)..

I have a degree in electrical engineering and exp in telecom and computer networking.. and my reference letters (2 y 5 m) mention duties similar to computer and networking eng..

So, if i get assessed as Eng Technologist..will i be able to claim Those work exp points?

Anzsco description for Eng Technologist is not very clear like other professions and can be interpreted in many ways..

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,

Hi Obi1,

Not sure if you still follow this forum but i would love to know what happened afterwards?

were you able to claim your points for work exp under eng technologist profession? and DIBP approved those points?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts