Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the forum and people have advised don't go over to Dubai to look for
A job. look online before you go out. I've had enough looking online no luck. You might say I might not get any luck over there either. Which is true. But will risk it

Planning to go in the next couple of months. Not sure for how long I'm planning to stay there for? Will Stay in a cheap hotel like premier inn. Should not cost me much.

Would like some advice regarding the following:

How long should I stay there for?
Who do I approach with regard to looking for a job ie recruitment agency?
Has anybody tried this approch before, any luck?

I have 5 years experience in the finance industry. I also have a Degree.

Would love to here peoples advice good or bad .

Thank you

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive tried via online... send linkedin messages to recruiters at specific companies.

I decided to message Managers directly on linkedin, and got job offer after 6 months.

I would say forget recruitment agencies, do some research on the company you want to work for, contact their managers directly. Even if you go to Dubai, don't waste time on recruitment agencies.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
You can rent a hotel apartment for 3,000/month, a car for 1,800, add fuel and phone charges and that's 6,000 plus food etc. Call it AED10,000/month all in - £1,800.

How long you stay depends on how much you have in savings, don't be shy and network in areas/places where like minded people congregate (DIFC?) - however that won't be cheap.

Don't even think about coming here until September and remember that the big Eid holiday (at least a week off) is end of Sept.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Where is this hotel apartment for 3,000 a month?

You can rent a hotel apartment for 3,000/month, a car for 1,800, add fuel and phone charges and that's 6,000 plus food etc. Call it AED10,000/month all in - £1,800.

How long you stay depends on how much you have in savings, don't be shy and network in areas/places where like minded people congregate (DIFC?) - however that won't be cheap.

Don't even think about coming here until September and remember that the big Eid holiday (at least a week off) is end of Sept.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Premier Inn hotels, are around 360 AED a month, 50/60 quid. Trust me it catches on you. For 2 and half months it cost me around 16,000 AED GBP 2500-3000

If you don't have a job do not move here. Crazy idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was thinking of staying for just more than a month.

I'm still working in the UK. I will just take my holiday leave.

Premier Inn hotels, are around 360 AED a month, 50/60 quid. Trust me it catches on you. For 2 and half months it cost me around 16,000 AED GBP 2500-3000

If you don't have a job do not move here. Crazy idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With regard to DIFC do I just go in and hand my CV to companies ( I doubt it. ) if not how do I approach the companies?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
With regard to DIFC do I just go in and hand my CV to companies ( I doubt it. ) if not how do I approach the companies?
How about you start with their website? Maybe it might just mention the companies that are based there.

Maybe...

PS, hate to put a downer on things but I'd suggest your chances of finding gainful employment, based on your postings, is less than zero.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any suggestions to help me increase my chances ?

Can't get any lower than zero the only way is up.

How about you start with their website? Maybe it might just mention the companies that are based there.

Maybe...

PS, hate to put a downer on things but I'd suggest your chances of finding gainful employment, based on your postings, is less than zero.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
How would you look for jobs back home? Will you rock up at the office and hand out your resume?
Networking, getting in touch with people etc.

Just because you are here physically is only marginally better than not being here. Sending out resumes online also in general would not help unless you EXACTLY match the requirements for the job.

Also, "work in finance" does not mean anything. Bank clerks, the credit card salesmen and CFOs all think that they work in finance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
True I wouldn't go up to a office and hand my CV.

All jobs that I applied for in the UK have been through recruitment agencies. It's does not seem to work in Dubai.

I know finance can be a broad role. I did not state my exact role because this is not a recruitment site.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I know finance can be a broad role. I did not state my exact role because this is not a recruitment site.
You're right of course, it's not.

However there are a plethora of employers on here that could help you.

So much less than zero.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You're in the finance industry, you want to move to Dubai yet you hadn't heard of DIFC - which suggests you need to do a lot of research before you commit to anything. Find out about the finance industry in Dubai, how it works, the companies operating within it, the salary levels, the cost of living, and only then decide whether you want to move and whether it's worth it.

How long to stay isn't only about the cost, you have a limit on length of stay with your visa.

As others have said, with Ramadan, Eid and the summer holidays, don't even think of visiting before October. Do your research in the meantime and try to make appointments with relevant companies in advance. In general you have a better chance of getting a job if you're in the country and available for interviews.

·
Registered
23 Posts
True I wouldn't go up to a office and hand my CV.

All jobs that I applied for in the UK have been through recruitment agencies. It's does not seem to work in Dubai.

First, finance is a hugely broad term. Are you talking about investment banking (M&A, capital markets, equity research, trading, etc), corporate finance, or commercial banking? As with any place, that matters tremendously... a bank teller job in London is probably quite easy to come by but that analyst job in equity capital markets at Barclays is going to be a bit more competitive.

I'm not in Dubai but I'm going to step out on a limb and say that it's probably similar enough to draw some comparisons.

How good is your in-industry network? Turning up in Dubai without knowing anyone who could actually help you get a job is probably a tremendous waste of money. Instead of hopping the first flight out, spend 3-6 months trying to build your network and don't get on an airplane until you're in a position to line up a few informational interviews during your visit.

I'm a big fan of quotes so here's one that is very applicable from famous American "founding father" Benjamin Franklin - "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts