Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am suse and I am new here. I've been seeking an answer to this question and hope you can help me with it.

I have been accepted into a ten month program at an alternative school in Bristol,UK---one which does not have Tier 4 status.
Therefore no student visa.

Is it appropriate to ask for an extended visit visa in that case?
If I get a six month visa is it acceptable to leave the UK for a certain period of time and return for the rest of my classes?

Or is it out of the question altogether?
The only thing I know for sure is that I do NOT know enough!

Thanks very much if you can advise, I so appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Your school should really be advising you on what visa to apply for. You are not allowed to study for more than 30 days on any visitor visa, extended or not.

If I get a six month visa is it acceptable to leave the UK for a certain period of time and return for the rest of my classes?
No, definitely not

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I thought the 11-month flavour of the short term student visa was only applicable to English language courses, but I could certainly be wrong... !!

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
I thought the 11-month flavour of the short term student visa was only applicable to English language courses, but I could certainly be wrong... !!
I think you are right. From the link:

How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for:

6 months - for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
11 months - if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks.
The school is an alternative school, not much help from them about this yet.
I have asked for a letter of acceptance but so far nothing. (yes, it makes me wonder if they have their act together).

So let's assume I just want to go live in Bristol, England for a year and explore that part of the world. Ideally I'd make that home base and explore Europe as well.
Which visa do I apply for?
Thanks very much, your help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Thanks folks.
I have asked for a letter of acceptance but so far nothing. (yes, it makes me wonder if they have their act together).

So let's assume I just want to go live in Bristol, England for a year and explore that part of the world. Ideally I'd make that home base and explore Europe as well.
You can just go and visit that part of the world for up to 6 months without any visa if you have a US passport.

You cannot live anywhere, except the US, without a visa

For anything longer than 6 months you need a visa - student, work, investment

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
Thanks folks.

There is no visa which covers your situation. In general most people can visit the UK for 6 months out of 12 with proof of strong ties to their home country.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.