Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
2011, we went to Galicia for our annual September holiday. This year we are going to Cantabria so those video clips were especially interesting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
...I have been interested in the north coast but have been put of by stories of never ending rain. Does it really rain that much??????

·
Registered
99 Posts
...I have been interested in the north coast but have been put of by stories of never ending rain. Does it really rain that much up there??????

G

·
Here in the concejo Carreño in Asturias, I am told by local farmers, whose crops depend on rain, that the norm used to be the rainy season was October thru and including February. Now, October thru December brings lighter rainfall and January thru February heavier rainfall. Traditional crop production is falling here and as a good deal of that goes to animal feed, farmers are beginning to limit their number of animals. It fits the pattern that has developed in my place of origin California, and I suspect it is related to Climate Change... a shorter rainy season, but when it does rain it is more intense due to a 5% increase in moisture in the atmosphere.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...I have been interested in the north coast but have been put of by stories of never ending rain. Does it really rain that much up there??????
Google can help you get an idea.
Precipitacion anual Galicia gives you this

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi, I lived in Asturias, 10 K from the coast, for 3 years, before moving to the far SW of Andalucia.

Yes, it DOES rain that much - but the Asturianos are incredibly warm and hospitable, which helps assuage the effect, lol! I loved the seasonal changes - early Autumn days could be sunny and mellow, or bright, crisp and cold, so ideal for long walks in the foothills, through forests of Chestnut and Pine. Summers there were short, but beautifully sunny and hot - never scorching, which is why there are increasing numbers of second- home owners from Madrid and Seville, desperate to escape searing Summer temps. back home! Spring was my favourite season - without the rain there'd be no green foliage or grass, right? Or wild flowers, or orchards carpeted in wild orchids and dripping with apples?
Asturias is very wild, wet, windy - and magical!

GUAPACHICA

G

·
A visual difference between North and South

Here is a visual difference between Asturias and moving into Castilla y León immediately to the South. I took these two photos on the same mid late August day in 2010, about an hour apart in time, and maybe 10 or 15 kilometers on either side of a higher point in the Picos de Europa.

Attachments

G

·
PS

An Asturian newspaper based in Gijón declared that hotels were offering 15 to 25% discounts due to the drop in tourism as a result of the financial crisis.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a visual difference between Asturias and moving into Castilla y León immediately to the South. I took these two photos on the same mid late August day in 2010, about an hour apart in time, and maybe 10 or 15 kilometers on either side of a higher point in the Picos de Europa.
Great idea to post these photos!

G

·
¡! That's like when you cross the Pyrenees.
Here's another beautiful flight over the mountains, without the educational talk (but with fave music!)
Mark Knopfler - The Long Road 1984 (Mountains of the Basque Country - 1) Spain - YouTube

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi. Wow! Thanks for posting that clip - awe inspiring Pays Basque mountain scenery combined with Mark Knopfler's exquisite guitar music - what synergy!

Celtic Asturies (Music by Asturian folk band LLAN DE ... - YouTube
► 4:16► 4:16

In return, could I please offer you another Youtube clip (above), also from the Celtic North?
Here's one of my favourite Asturian bands playing a haunting piece of music, whilst the glorious landscape of their tiny province is portrayed onscreen! I've no regrets at all for having left England for this wild, green Spanish wonderland, where I spent several happy years!

Reactions: Navas
G

·
"This video is not available in your country"
:(
How odd - I watched it last night and so did Guapachica, so it's available in Spain. It's a pity you can't see it - perhaps if you google it, you might find a version that is available. It's very lovely. I think it's part of a series he did, as I know there's one of Scotland.

In return, could I please offer you another Youtube clip (above), also from the Celtic North?
Here's one of my favourite Asturian bands playing a haunting piece of music, whilst the glorious landscape of their tiny province is portrayed onscreen! I've no regrets at all for having left England for this wild, green Spanish wonderland, where I spent several happy years!
That's lovely - I'll add that to my bed-time playlist. I lived in Brittany (Bretagne, Breizh) for ten years - same racial roots, similar climate, similar culture, same granite, same rheumatism and bronchitis -and when I was watching that on Youtube, I saw that the next one offered was Mio Vaca Pio and in Betagne we have these tiny cattle, the Pie Noir Breton! They are house cows and I used to have a very old sepia photo of some Breton women sitting on the turf on a clifftop, in their black dresses, white aprons and coiffes, knitting while they watched their pies noires (with an 'e' that time, as there weren't any bulls in the photo.)
I did love the Pyrenees and Northern Spain - I like a bit of geographical harshness; I think it grows better people. The central Bretons are my joint fave people, together with the Rom(any gypsies.)

·
Registered
502 Posts
How odd - I watched it last night and so did Guapachica, so it's available in Spain. It's a pity you can't see it - perhaps if you google it, you might find a version that is available. It's very lovely. I think it's part of a series he did, as I know there's one of Scotland.
I'm in Germany this week. Will try again when I'm back in the UK. If I manage to surface above the mountain of work that is waiting for me :(
In the meantime, this one works :)

G

·
Oh! That's definitely not a bedtime one! Just heavenly, an explosion of joy. When I listen to really inspired musicians, I know that humans aren't all bad (yet.)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Our holiday, this year (September) is in Cantabria so I'm looking forward to that part of the world, too. Two years ago we went to Galicia and the grren freshness was a welcome change to the sun-burnt golds and ochres of our part of Andalucía

·
Registered
746 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts