Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is history about to repeat itself - are the present day tensions on the Korean Peninsular about to erupt into a worldwide
Geopolitical Crisis ?
Namely is The North Korean Missile Crisis about to turn out to be as deadly & dangerous as the Cuban Missile Crisis
back in October 1962 ?
Only time will tell, although things are not looking good on the Korean Peninsular today.

BBC News - North Korean military announce they are targeting their missiles to fall near Guam

Duck & Cover - Protect & Survive - Japanese Civil Defence against the North Korean threat

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally don't worry as I'm sure former East German Spy, Martin Rauch alias Oberleutnant Moritz Stamm, code name Kolibri
will save us !!!

In fact they promised us a sequel didn't they - why not Deutschland 2017 ?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Let's not worry too much. I have it on good authority that a Hair Trade Agreement will bring peace...

Hair.jpg

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Namely is The North Korean Missile Crisis about to turn out to be as deadly & dangerous as the Cuban Missile Crisis back in October 1962 ?
We can only hope. Because of course it turned out not to be deadly at all, both parties came to their senses and reached an agreement through dialogue.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
We can only hope. Because of course it turned out not to be deadly at all, both parties came to their senses and reached an agreement through dialogue.
And because a Russian Submarine Officer refused orders to fire a missile at a US ship....

Vasili Alexandrovich Arkhipov

Vasili Alexandrovich Arkhipov (Russian: Василий Александрович Архипов) IPA: [vɐˈsʲilʲɪj ɐlʲɪkˈsandrəvʲɪtɕ arˈxipɔːf] (30 January 1926 – 19 August 1998) was a Soviet Navy officer credited with casting the single vote that prevented a Soviet nuclear strike (and presumably all out nuclear war) during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Such an attack likely would have caused a major global thermonuclear response which could have destroyed much of the world.[1] As flotilla commander and second-in-command of the diesel powered submarine B-59, only Arkhipov refused to authorize the captain's use of nuclear torpedoes against the United States Navy, a decision requiring the agreement of all three senior officers aboard.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Speaking of things nuclear....I just heard on the BBC News that some guys were given an eight year prison sentence for turning a former nuclear bunker into a cannabis factory.
Eight years jail?????? They should have been given a medal.

Swords and ploughshares spring to mind.....

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
The face-off between Trump and Kim wotsisface is playing havoc with my SIPP pension fund, I know that. Still, look on the bright side, eh, if we all get blown to kingdom come I won't have to worry about it.
That is more and more my attitude. Big bang - all over. Probably for the best.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The face-off between Trump and Kim wotsisface is playing havoc with my SIPP pension fund, I know that. Still, look on the bright side, eh, if we all get blown to kingdom come I won't have to worry about it.
That's why I can only make fun of it. If the worst were to happen then none of us need worry anymore. But, I rather suspect the folk who are really in charge of USA have brains and this won't come to anything.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Manning the Last Post - The Cold War seen from the ROC Posts of Britain

Never fear Lynn - there are Secret Bunkers dotted all over the place in the UK ( a legacy of the Cold War )
- in fact there are a surprising number of these compact 3 man bunkers, located in some of the most
picturesque parts of Britain.

If your in the UK - maybe there's one near you ?

No doubt some of you might have heard of the Royal Observer Corps and associated it with their aircraft
recognition role during the Second World War, when radar was still in it's infancy.

Of course it's finest hour came during the Battle of Britain, when Goring's Luftwaffe was pounding RAF
fighter commands airfields; and at one point it looked like the German's could turn the Battle of Britain
in their favour by bombing the Chain Home Radar installations out of existence.

With their radar stations blown away, how could the RAF determine when and where the next Luftwaffe
air raid will come from. It was at this point that Air Vice Marshal Keith Park: ( on being told that the
radar stations are out of action due to German bombing ) remarked - So we're blind, so now we've
only got the Observer Corps !!

Of course the rest is history but during Britain's darkest hour - volunteer units of the Observer
Corps tracked Luftwaffe bomber and fighter incursions from their small Observation posts dotted
across the towns, villages and countryside of Britain.
Feeding in information to Fighter command on new waves of German aircraft crossing the country.

Although disbanded at the end of WWII, they were reformed within a year of their disbandment,
as tensions rose between the Soviet Union and the West in what would become known as the Cold War.
Initially being reformed again in their Aircraft recognition role but eventually for a somewhat grimmer role
- as piston engine aircraft made way for jets and radar became significantly more accurate in
tracking aircraft.

That grimmer role is well described in the following excerpt from the BBC series, Walks in the Yorkshire
Wolds with Paul Rose
Where once again volunteers from the Royal Observer Corps will - Man the ROC Posts in what could well
be their Last Post, as Britain faces it's darkest hour at the height of a Cold War, turning hot.

The Last Post - Paul Rose explores a Cold War ROC Post

·
Banned
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
7,082 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just stopped by to confirm that none of y'all and your biased news sources know about (or don't date speak of) the geopolitical terms 'saber rattling' and 'mutually assured destruction', though I do appreciate the resulting examples of dry wit.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts