Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I bought a small rural property in Normandy in October 2016 and the year's Taxes were paid by the previous owner. The house is unoccupied save a few days to date as we are having to refresh it and install a new kitchen as the previous owner took it with her (as is the custom). I'm conscious the Taxe d'Habitation and Fonciere are shortly due in September (for October) and November 2017 but don't know who to contact about this. Various websites seem to assume you know this. Also the house does not have furniture in it, apart from a bed as we were finding accommodation elsewhere expensive this last visit, which we could otherwise spend on the interior. Can anyone advise (a) who to contact about these Taxes in order to (b) discuss our current situation with them. I'm really worried about this. I am a fluent French speaker and so the language is not a difficulty but we may not be in France when these pop through our letterbox.....? Many thanks indeed for any guidance. Lynn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Property taxes

Hi Thanks for this - I'm worried about not being in France when these bills arrive (the first time I've owned a French property) into my letterbox. Can you get at your personal Taxes online, for those of us not yet living in France, through the impots lot? Thanks and apologies for such basic questions! Lynn

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your are welcome. No apologies needed, we have all been in the same position at one time I'm sure.
You can pay online but you need a Numéro Fiscal to register I think. If you call your local prefecture or tax office they will help you out.
Pay online is easy and but you need a French bank account I think.
You can have your mail redirected to the UK BTW.

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,308 Posts
Hi Thanks for this - I'm worried about not being in France when these bills arrive (the first time I've owned a French property) into my letterbox. Can you get at your personal Taxes online, for those of us not yet living in France, through the impots lot? Thanks and apologies for such basic questions! Lynn
Lynn

If you go to the treasury office nearest to your home, you can request an address change for your tax bills.

Our tresororie sent our tax fonciere and tax d'habitation invoices to us in the United States for the first three years we owned our home in France.

When we moved here permanently, we changed the address back to France for the tax bills.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Be aware that to avoid TDH you need to show that the house is uninhabitable This does not mean that it lacks say a fitted kitchen or furniture it basically has to be semi ruinous.In addition TDH always includes automatically a charge for the TV licence As you do not have a TV presumably you should make a declaration to this effect the tax office will send you the form and it has to be renewed every year If you want to try for an exemption to TDH then you should enquire at yout local Marie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts