Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I asked the same question in my employer's HR department but they proved ultimately useless and not willing to help, so I need to bring it here.

I got my job and was living in Spain since November 2016. Still, I am not a tax resident in Spain and I don't speak Spanish. The only departments I registered myself in were police station to get my NIE and Social Security Office in order to get Social Security Number. I never registered to Empadronamiento, because since the beginning I knew I won't be stying here for long.

So my question is, do I have to deregister from some offices and notify some authorities (police, Social Security Office, Tax Agency?) that I am leaving, or I don't need to do any of this?

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hello,
I asked the same question in my employer's HR department but they proved ultimately useless and not willing to help, so I need to bring it here.

I got my job and was living in Spain since November 2016. Still, I am not a tax resident in Spain and I don't speak Spanish. The only departments I registered myself in were police station to get my NIE and Social Security Office in order to get Social Security Number. I never registered to Empadronamiento, because since the beginning I knew I won't be stying here for long.

So my question is, do I have to deregister from some offices and notify some authorities (police, Social Security Office, Tax Agency?) that I am leaving, or I don't need to do any of this?
:welcome:

Presumably if you've been in employment the company has been been deducting income tax at source? That makes you 'tax resident'. So yes, you should inform the tax office that you are leaving.

You say that you have a NIE - is it just a white A4 NIE or a green resident cert/card? If the latter, then you need to go back & 'unregister' when you're about to leave,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The company I was employed at did pay the income tax for me, that is correct. Many times however I've been told that I become a tax resident if I spend more than 183 days in Spain in one calendar year. I thought this rule applies to me, because I didn't receive any notification about becoming a fiscal resident.

Regarding the NIE, I am having a small sized green piece of paper, which looks completely cheap and super fragile. I'm guessing it's a green card then?

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
The company I was employed at did pay the income tax for me, that is correct. Many times however I've been told that I become a tax resident if I spend more than 183 days in Spain in one calendar year. I thought this rule applies to me, because I didn't receive any notification about becoming a fiscal resident.

Regarding the NIE, I am having a small sized green piece of paper, which looks completely cheap and super fragile. I'm guessing it's a green card then?
Yes that's the 'green card', so you're a registered resident (as you should be :) )

So you need to both 'unregister' at the extranjería & also inform the tax office.

Fiscal residency just happens. You don't get notification. You have been working here so that makes you automatically & immediately tax resident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts