Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm hoping to get a bit clearer view on non-property and non-spanish investments Capital Gains Tax in Spain as a non-resident for the first few years I guess and then as a long term resident (assuming there is a difference).

I'm seeing conflicting info on the web.
This scary info from wikipedia: "Spain's capital gains tax law changed on 1 January 2012. For individuals, the first €6,000 will be taxed at 21%, gains from €6,000 to €24,000 will be taxed at 25%, and gains above €24,000 will be taxed at 27%. From September 2012, everything will be taxed as normal incomings that could go up to 50%."

I've found this which seems to be the correct info and sounds like it's a 100% inclusion rate which is not good :Agencia Tributaria - Basic taxation issues

In Canada there is a 50% inclusion rate (You only pay CGT on half of your gains.) and then it's a scaled rate on that amount.
So for example if you gain 200k you pay around 24% on 100k.

How does it work in Spain?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
In Canada there is a 50% inclusion rate (You only pay CGT on half of your gains.) and then it's a scaled rate on that amount.
So for example if you gain 200k you pay around 24% on 100k.

How does it work in Spain?

Thank you!
Unless my memory has gone. In Canada the 50% gets taxed at your nominal tax rate.

On 100K that's 26% plus the provincal tax payable.

No point worrying about the inclusion rate. Look at the effective tax rate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts