Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am trying to move to Scotland on a marriage visa in Autumn. We will get married in August and then apply for the visa. I will be working for a non-profit organization based in the states and getting paid by donors through this organization. My question is who will I need to pay taxes to? Will I have to pay in each country or just one? If I'm not paying taxes in the UK will I be able to receive healthcare still?

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
Once you are resident in the UK, you will be subject to taxes there. BUT as a US citizen, you will always have to file US income taxes. There are tax treaties to avoid double taxation.

Have a look at the Expat Tax section here on the forum to get some idea of how your filings to the US will work (after your move). Expat Tax - Expat Forum For Expats, For Moving Overseas And For Jobs Abroad
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So in light of the news on the new UK immigration laws we're considering living in the US. But we've already had a wedding date set for August 4 in the US and then she was going to return to scotland and I would apply for the Marriage visa. Now what we're considering is keeping our date but instead we would apply for her to live here after the wedding. She would return to Scotland to apply and I would travel there on a visitor's visa for the majority of the time while we wait on the US to process her application. I've seen on the visitor visa that you're not supposed to work while on it though. I have a probably job offer from a US based religious organization that could still pay me while I'm there for the six months and I could still be working there. Would that be okay since its not taking any jobs away from UK citizens? Are there any other holes in that plan?

·
Registered
39,244 Posts
So in light of the news on the new UK immigration laws we're considering living in the US. But we've already had a wedding date set for August 4 in the US and then she was going to return to scotland and I would apply for the Marriage visa. Now what we're considering is keeping our date but instead we would apply for her to live here after the wedding. She would return to Scotland to apply and I would travel there on a visitor's visa for the majority of the time while we wait on the US to process her application. I've seen on the visitor visa that you're not supposed to work while on it though. I have a probably job offer from a US based religious organization that could still pay me while I'm there for the six months and I could still be working there. Would that be okay since its not taking any jobs away from UK citizens? Are there any other holes in that plan?
You cannot work even on a voluntary basis as a visitor. You need a religious worker visa under Tier 5: UK Border Agency | Tier 5 (Temporary worker - religious workers) It must be applied for in US.

Your spouse's US visa, such as K3, will take a long time to process, average being 5-8 months. Immigrant visa, that gives permanent resident status on arrival, such as CR1 (for those married less than 2 years), will take even longer, around 10 months.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You cannot work even on a voluntary basis as a visitor. You need a religious worker visa under Tier 5: UK Border Agency | Tier 5 (Temporary worker - religious workers) It must be applied for in US.

Your spouse's US visa, such as K3, will take a long time to process, average being 5-8 months. Immigrant visa, that gives permanent resident status on arrival, such as CR1 (for those married less than 2 years), will take even longer, around 10 months.
Thanks, but can a US based organization still sponsor me in the UK for the religious workers visa?

·
Registered
39,244 Posts
Thanks, but can a US based organization still sponsor me in the UK for the religious workers visa?
Some US organisations are registered sponsors with UKBA. Ask your religious body. If they are used to sending workers to UK, they are sure to be familiar with requirements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.