Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi

Question is for a friend who has a non-MRP passport

He was recently granted a PR

Does Australia permit entry on non-MRP passports?
Read here:
The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has set a
deadline of the 24th November 2015 for globally phasing out all non Machine
Readable Passports (MRPs). From 25th November 2015
onwards, foreign Governments may deny visa or entry to any person
travelling with a non-MRP passport.

Source: http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/Public_Notice_Machine_Readable_Passports.pdf

Your friend should apply for re-issue of passport in order to obtain MRP passport and avoid any problems with foreign immigration. Else you can directly call Immi Australia and find out for yourself.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read here:
The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has set a
deadline of the 24th November 2015 for globally phasing out all non Machine
Readable Passports (MRPs). From 25th November 2015
onwards, foreign Governments may deny visa or entry to any person
travelling with a non-MRP passport.

Source: http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/Public_Notice_Machine_Readable_Passports.pdf

Your friend should apply for re-issue of passport in order to obtain MRP passport and avoid any problems with foreign immigration. Else you can directly call Immi Australia and find out for yourself.

Thanks, I know - and I told him about - the phasing out of non-MRP by November everywhere in the world. He's already applied but in his country it takes 2-3 months and he wanted to do initial entry by next month, and was worried he might not be let through

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks, I know - and I told him about - the phasing out of non-MRP by November everywhere in the world. He's already applied but in his country it takes 2-3 months and he wanted to do initial entry by next month, and was worried he might not be let through
Like I mentioned, it's best to call DIBP or local Australian embassy and clarify if Non-MRP passports would be accepted by them or not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think there's any such policy for not letting through an applicant with a valid non-mrp passport.

Just FYI, I entered Dec last year with non-mrp passport and no issues were encountered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts