Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to EF as I've been unable to get a clear answer from any my research, so I figured posting here might some answers. The girlfriend (soon to be wife) and I are planning to relocate to Spain as she has a Spanish grandfather that could lead to an eventual Passport. To do this, she must reside in Spain for a year on any visa. We can meet all the requirements, however, the financial piece is puzzling.

We do not have the financial wealth requirement fulfilled today (we have about $30k saved). We intend to have the required amount (additional $8k) in a checking/savings account (or temporarily loaned by a family member) by our appointment in December. It's unclear if this is acceptable. We have seen and been told by various entities the required money must be in our account for 1 year in advance, or 3 months, or that we only need the money on the day we apply at the consulate.

Any ideas or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dave

·
Banned
63 Posts
I think for an €250000 investment in a home or a business that employs Spanish people you can get a Spanish passport. A criminal background check is also necessary.

Otherwise, have a visit to your local consulate, they will tell you.

·
Administrator
37,068 Posts
I think for an €250000 investment in a home or a business that employs Spanish people you can get a Spanish passport. A criminal background check is also necessary.

Otherwise, have a visit to your local consulate, they will tell you.
No that isn't right.

A so-called Golden Visa requires an investment of 500,000 € - & you can't get a Spanish passport any more quickly than any other resident. It gives you residency, not nationality.

A non-lucrative visa is completely different.

·
Administrator
37,068 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to EF as I've been unable to get a clear answer from any my research, so I figured posting here might some answers. The girlfriend (soon to be wife) and I are planning to relocate to Spain as she has a Spanish grandfather that could lead to an eventual Passport. To do this, she must reside in Spain for a year on any visa. We can meet all the requirements, however, the financial piece is puzzling.

We do not have the financial wealth requirement fulfilled today (we have about $30k saved). We intend to have the required amount (additional $8k) in a checking/savings account (or temporarily loaned by a family member) by our appointment in December. It's unclear if this is acceptable. We have seen and been told by various entities the required money must be in our account for 1 year in advance, or 3 months, or that we only need the money on the day we apply at the consulate.

Any ideas or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dave
:welcome:

The only place to get a definitive answer will be the consulate at which you'll be applying.

Each consulate has its own interpretation of the financial requirements - often vastly different to others.

Some even allow remote working for an ongoing income & don't insist on upfront funds!

It sounds strange I know - but it's common in Spain for different offices to interpret rules differently.

·
Registered
19,467 Posts
It really is true that there are circumstances where there are guidelines that are interpreted in different ways and that could be a different interpretation by people in the same region or same office.
It's not necessarily people doing their job badly or making mistakes. It not necessarily an attitude. In some situations the laws are set up purposely to be like that in order to be flexible and that has its pros and its cons. It's a different way of dealing with officialdom, like it or not. There's little point in comparing it with the way things are done in the UK or Germany or Argentina. It's the way things are done here.
Having said that, there are people working in Spain who are inefficient, slow and unpleasant, just like anywhere else in the world and of course you might meet one of those on your bureaucratic travels too:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.