Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to advise me about my sistuation. I am an English man currently living in France for 3 years now. I am about to get married to my girlfriend in Kiev, Ukraine. I choose this option after reading the information on this website, so thanks. It seems much easier as my girl will not have to take courses like non EU partners must take if they marry a french national.

Ok, so here is where i am now, can anyone help?

My girlfriend has a child of 8 years. We have already asked permission from the father of her child if she can move him to France with us and he has granted us permission. I just am not sure how this would work with the French laws. I think it would be pretty straighforward if it was just me and my fiancee but I am not certain what we need to do with regards to the child? Any advice would be great?

Many thanks in advance, Mike

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
I'm going to move this out into a thread of its own in order to attract a few more responses.

You're probably going to want to check with the French consulate in Kiev, but based on what others have been through here, you probably only need to get your wife and her child a short-stay visa to enter France. Then, when you get there, you register them for their titres de séjour.

Chances are, the child will need to produce some documentation that the father has granted permission for the move at the time when you are applying for the visa. But it's more likely that will be subject to Ukrainian law than to French law. In any event, it would depend on the exact situation - whether the father is your girlfriend's ex husband, or whether and how he is recognized on the child's birth certificate and if there are any legal agreements regarding child support or custody arrangements in effect.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.