Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am a non-EU citizen, and in the process of obtaining my work permit from Luxembourg. Since the cost of living in Luxembourg is quite high, I was looking into the option of living in France. I see that "technically" I might be eligible for a long stay visa in France, as I will have sufficient income. Or are there other options for living in France while working in Luxembourg, I mean visa options? I went through France Immigration office and various consulate websites, but I have not found any concrete info and I am not sure how to go about finding more info on this though. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
Although there are quite a few regulations and agreements for those who live in one country and work in another, I think you're going to find that they really only apply to those who have EU nationality or other long-term residence rights in the EU. If you have been living in Europe for a while (like, at least 5 years) you may be able to qualify for a 5-year residence card for France - but be sure to ask your employer about the "frontaliere" regulations, which will determine what withholdings, etc. you'll be subject to if you're living in France. (Which will determine where you can get medical care and which retirement system you are enrolled in.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, Bev. I will bring up the frontalieres issue with the HR in Luxembourg and see what they have to say. I have been living in Belgium only for the last two years, so unfortunately I cannot ask for the residence card, neither here nor in France. The other issue that I have been thinking is if Luxembourg will permit me to live in France, I mean, is there usually any condition on work permits that the person has to live in the country issuing the permit? Of course it could just be an "issue" I have made up.

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
The problem is that Luxembourg can't give you any sort of authority to live in France. The EU leaves immigration decisions to the individual countries - but a work visa gives you authorization to live and work in the country. With a resident visa for one EU country, you have the right to visit other EU countries for up to 90 days at a time. But that doesn't include the right to live in another country.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, that is not what I meant though. When I mentioned about Luxembourg, it was more of a question about Luxembourg imposing a condition on me that I would "have" to live in Luxembourg. For now all I can do is just read more and get more desperate, at least until I have my work permit.

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
Luxembourg can't require that you live there - but, as I said, they can't give you the right to live anywhere other than in Luxembourg, either.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply Bev. The other issue someone else mentioned was that I would have to deal with two different bureaucrac(z)ies. That also put second thoughts in my mind about this whole adventure of two countries. Anyway, I still need to receive my permit- apparently Luxembourg requires a three month waiting period before they grant the permit. Is this the same everywhere?

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
Don't know about a waiting period as such, but several countries say to expect it to take about 3 months to process a work visa.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.