Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new here and this looks like the right place to ask a question or two about the EEA family permit!

My situation is pretty vanilla compared to some of the other posters, but my question is more around timing of the permit - both for issuance and use. Here is our situation:

1) My boyfriend is Swedish, and we have been together almost 8 years, and we have lived together in the US for 5 years.

2) He won a green card in the lottery (first attempt even!) which enabled him to move to the US in 2007. He completed his university degree here, and will be applying for his US citizenship at the end of the month.

3) We have always wanted to move back to the UK, rather than Sweden, for personal and professional reasons. I say "back" because I lived and worked in the UK under a BUNAC visa back in '99, and then a visitor visa, having had a previous relationship.

4) We wanted to try to move back by this year, but have realized that aiming for some time between spring and late summer 2013 would be the better move.

5) I am the primary breadwinner in the house, and work for a large international media and information company that is well known in London, and has major operations there for various business lines. My department has sent people overseas on postings before, and paid for the work permits, however with many recent reorgs it is not clear if this is still an option. I want to make this as easy as possible and pitch a reassignment to another business unit in that I don't actually have to enter as a US citizen on reassignment, but can go as family member of an EEA national and would get paid at the going local rate.

5) I understand that we need to go together or I go after him.

My questions:

a) How long does it typically take to get the family permit issued? It looks to be fast (and free! which is a nice change from being shafted on immigration fees) - but are we talking 2 weeks compared to 2 months for a work permit?

b) Can I apply with a job offer in hand if he doesn't have work lined up? Or would it be better to not mention work possibilities when applying? Perhaps the question is more about how I don't want it to look like I am applying this way to avoid going the work permit the traditional route - or does it not matter?

c) Once the permit is issued, is there a grace period and how long is it? For example, it is issued in June, would we have 30 days to enter the UK before it expires?

d) We have never mixed bank accounts and most of the bills come in my name, but we have always been put on our rental leases together. Will that be a problem? We can otherwise show length of relationship (tickets home to Sweden together, his green card/citizenship obviously, pay stubs with this address on them, etc).

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hello,

I am new here and this looks like the right place to ask a question or two about the EEA family permit!
Welcome to the forum!

My situation is pretty vanilla compared to some of the other posters, but my question is more around timing of the permit - both for issuance and use. Here is our situation:

1) My boyfriend is Swedish, and we have been together almost 8 years, and we have lived together in the US for 5 years.
Depending on the commonwealth you live in, you are already legal partners.

2) He won a green card in the lottery (first attempt even!) which enabled him to move to the US in 2007. He completed his university degree here, and will be applying for his US citizenship at the end of the month.
Lucky man! Don't let him leave the States without becoming a citizen first.

3) We have always wanted to move back to the UK, rather than Sweden, for personal and professional reasons. I say "back" because I lived and worked in the UK under a BUNAC visa back in '99, and then a visitor visa, having had a previous relationship.

4) We wanted to try to move back by this year, but have realized that aiming for some time between spring and late summer 2013 would be the better move.
Good decision, specially if you are moving to London. This city will be more congested with the Olympic games. Also, it will give you time to set everything straight.

5) I am the primary breadwinner in the house, and work for a large international media and information company that is well known in London, and has major operations there for various business lines. My department has sent people overseas on postings before, and paid for the work permits, however with many recent reorgs it is not clear if this is still an option. I want to make this as easy as possible and pitch a reassignment to another business unit in that I don't actually have to enter as a US citizen on reassignment, but can go as family member of an EEA national and would get paid at the going local rate.

6) I understand that we need to go together or I go after him.

My questions:

a) How long does it typically take to get the family permit issued? It looks to be fast (and free! which is a nice change from being shafted on immigration fees) - but are we talking 2 weeks compared to 2 months for a work permit?
2 weeks

b) Can I apply with a job offer in hand if he doesn't have work lined up? Or would it be better to not mention work possibilities when applying? Perhaps the question is more about how I don't want it to look like I am applying this way to avoid going the work permit the traditional route - or does it not matter?
Leave it blank.

c) Once the permit is issued, is there a grace period and how long is it? For example, it is issued in June, would we have 30 days to enter the UK before it expires?
It will expire 6 months after its issuance.

d) We have never mixed bank accounts and most of the bills come in my name, but we have always been put on our rental leases together. Will that be a problem? We can otherwise show length of relationship (tickets home to Sweden together, his green card/citizenship obviously, pay stubs with this address on them, etc).
Lease agreement(s) is(are) the key. Also, tax returns, pay stubs, insurance, etc. Any document(s) containing legal matter.

Thanks for any assistance!
Animo
(Cheers)

Reactions: miltbrave

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Depending on the commonwealth you live in, you are already legal partners.
Family members under EU rules mean spouse, civil partner, children etc. But UKBA accept unmarried partner if the applicant can show evidence akin to those who qualify under UK immigration law, i.e. cohabitation for two years.

The latest figure from NY visa hub is 4 days, plus you need to add biometric appointment and postal/courier delivery of documents both ways. So I'd say about a week to 10 days.

It will expire 6 months after its issuance.
What it means is you can enter UK at any time during its validity, but by delaying your arrival you restrict your maneuverability. Normally you apply for your residence card valid 5 years while EEA permit is still valid.

Lease agreement(s) is(are) the key. Also, tax returns, pay stubs, insurance, etc. Any document(s) containing legal matter.
I agree lease is all you really need to show as evidence of cohabitation. Perhaps some photos together, travel tickets etc as evidence of sustained relationship.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, both of you, for your helpful responses!

I think in regards to the timing question I was concerned that if it was going to take two months to get the permit if it would be possible to preempt the application and apply for the permit and have it in hand to move at our leisure (within the time period allowed, of course). However, if it only takes a week or two to get this taken care of, then there isn't much reason to do that at all.

I was in London last month visiting friends and it already seemed like the Olympic ramp up was well under way and I can only imagine how rough the commuting is going to be when that is going on. We are planning on stopping there for a long weekend in late August en route to Stockholm, to scope out neighborhoods we want to live in and so I can do some networking with overseas colleagues.

We aren't planning on moving for 12-18 months, but having an understanding of possibilities is always a good thing because you never know when an opportunity will arise!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The latest figure from NY visa hub is 4 days, plus you need to add biometric appointment and postal/courier delivery of documents both ways. So I'd say about a week to 10 days.
4 days for processing
6 days in average to book in biometrics, depends in how busy the Application Support Centers (ASCs) are.
2 days courier delivery (UPS is the courier)
---
12 days = 2 weeks

My particular case took, from crib to grave, 15 days. :D

What it means is you can enter UK at any time during its validity, but by delaying your arrival you restrict your maneuverability. Normally you apply for your residence card valid 5 years while EEA permit is still valid.
Advisable, not required.UK Border Agency | Residence documents for non-EEA family members of EEA nationals

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thank you, both of you, for your helpful responses!

I think in regards to the timing question I was concerned that if it was going to take two months to get the permit if it would be possible to preempt the application and apply for the permit and have it in hand to move at our leisure (within the time period allowed, of course). However, if it only takes a week or two to get this taken care of, then there isn't much reason to do that at all.
This is a very quick, painless and free process!

I was in London last month visiting friends and it already seemed like the Olympic ramp up was well under way and I can only imagine how rough the commuting is going to be when that is going on. We are planning on stopping there for a long weekend in late August en route to Stockholm, to scope out neighborhoods we want to live in and so I can do some networking with overseas colleagues.
Tomorrow, my company is going "live" in the temporary location outside London. All my PM's are already out of the UK; and in their project countries. This city is going to be a mad house.:eek: Scope out + networking= best decision ever!

We aren't planning on moving for 12-18 months, but having an understanding of possibilities is always a good thing because you never know when an opportunity will arise!
A year ago, we were in the same position you are in. My wife -Italian - requested a transfer from Philadelphia to London. To her surprise, it was approved the same day and we were glad to be educated in all this, because 60 days later she was here.

Good luck in all your endeavours,

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
4 days for processing
6 days in average to book in biometrics, depends in how busy the Application Support Centers (ASCs) are.
2 days courier delivery (UPS is the courier)
---
12 days = 2 weeks

My particular case took, from crib to grave, 15 days.
You just quote from your own experience. I go by what other people have done. Often you can get biometrics the following day depending on ASCs available to you. So one week to 10 days is quite feasible for some people. I stand by my assertion, though we are splitting hair!

I know, that's why I said 'Normally'. You don't even need residence card by force of law - but not having it will definitely make life difficult for you after 6 months, by not having documentary proof of right to residence and work and having to get EEA family permit before returning each time you go abroad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.