Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobel Peace Prize

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Spanky McSpank 
#1 ·
President Obama has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize; :clap2: :eek: a piece of Afghanistan, a piece of Iraq?? One thing is for sure, the $/Euro xrate is in his favour:p

#2 ·
He bloody won it!! just heard it on the radio ...... apparently everyone is most confused!!!!! :confused::confused::confused: even the Whitehouse ... they want to know what he has done to deserve winning it :confused:

I like Mr O very much, and think he has the potential to do good things ... but having only been in the big chair for 9 months there is still a lot to do ...... I think this Prize may be a little premature!

Sue x :)

#5 ·
I agree, Sue, though I wonder if perhaps its got a lot to do with the George Bush effect. After Bush's approach to foreign policy, someone like Obama who announces he wants to see an end to nuclear weapons and tries to get different factions to talk to one another, is going to seem like some kind of messiah!

Personally, I think this prize should be awarded more often to the "little" people rather than just politicians, people who are unknown and unrewarded who work for peace in the community or various NGOs, for example. After all, the known prize winners, usually tend to have whole teams of people behind them, researching, doing all the groundwork etc anyway. The "little" people meanwhile, do it quietly without publicity.

#6 ·
Personally, I think this prize should be awarded more often to the "little" people rather than just politicians, people who are unknown and unrewarded who work for peace in the community or various NGOs, for example. After all, the known prize winners, usually tend to have whole teams of people behind them, researching, doing all the groundwork etc anyway. The "little" people meanwhile, do it quietly without publicity.

Like me on the forum LOL!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I agree with you. Why is it always some major name who is really only a figurehead/puppet for a particular party/organisation, altho didnt "mother Theresa" get it one year?? But I suppose she wasnt exactly "an unsung hero"

Jo xx

#8 ·
Like me on the forum LOL!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I agree with you. Why is it always some major name who is really only a figurehead/puppet for a particular party/organisation, altho didnt "mother Theresa" get it one year?? But I suppose she wasnt exactly "an unsung hero"

Jo xx
Erm, I think Jo, you would be ruled out because of your use of the nuke facility! lol. :D

Looking at the list, yes, there are a lot of deserving winners over the years, but I still think high profile politicians are not always the most deserving. And I am not sure about certain organisations winning it when peace is supposed to be their objective anyway.

Let's hope this year's award puts pressure on President Obama to come up with the goods!

#9 ·
Hello folks,

I guess Obama won it for "his view of the world". At least that's what I read as it makes no sense for him to win the Nobel Peace Prize for anything he has actually done.

I think it also puts (a little!) pressure on his foreign policies...

Enjoy the long weekend all!

#13 ·
The Nobel Peace Prize means nothing it lost credibility many years ago. The decision to give it to Obama is ridiculous, but then the world is full of buffoons!

Amazingly Henry Kissinger recognized by many as a war criminal won it!

Adolph Hitler,Mussolini, Tony Blair, george Bush and Stalin have all been nominated!
Ghandi never won it despite being nominated 4 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.