Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone..
I have been in Dubai for two weeks now on a visit visa. I had started applying from day one itself on almost all UAE job sites i.e. Bayt, Gn4Ads, Khaleej Times, Dubizzle, etc. I have only applied jobs that suited my profile and did not randomly started for applying jobs. I have applied around 150 jobs all matching my profile, but I am yet to receive a single response from them either by call or email. Am I missing something? or do I need to visit recruitment agencies to speed things or maybe visit the Internet city? I have done B.Tech. in Information Technology with some experience as a Network Administrator. Though I know things in UAE are not as fast as in other countries and people are slow in responding, etc but still please someone help me out what else I can do.

I have already read the 'How to find jobs in Dubai thread fully' so please help me.

Regards

·
Registered
92 Posts
It takes time here, I have heard of a lot of people not hearing anything for over a month and then getting three interviews in one week. Just stick at it and hopefully something will come up, although it doesn't hurt to speak to recruiters and build a relationship with them.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
The problem with applying through the online sites is the sheer volume of people that apply for each job (thousands per job!).
This means that even if your CV exactly matches the job requirements - it is very difficult for the company to pick yours out amongst all the others.
You therefore need to do things that make you stand out - if you know the company recruiting, try contacting them directly. Get the name and email address of the decision maker and show some tenacity and initiative by contacting them directly.
Let them know that you are keener and different to all the other people out there and give yourself an edge.
Best of luck!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
203 Posts
Its been said before here, there are a lot of applicants for one job. When applying online, you compete perhaps with hundred others or more. Next what happens is that all their CV's go trough several levels of elimination, and provided you are left in the remaining 10 or so you may get a call for an initial interview. This takes time, but also, reduces your chance to get chosen. However, it is not impossible, so keep trying.

In parallel, go networking, meet people. This is your best road to success. Its incredible how meeting the right people can improve your chances to get a job!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get approx 15 job applications by e-mail per day. I'm astounded at the number of people who contact me who have not done the research as to what we do and I generally end up ignoring all of them.

The only time I will look at an application is if the subject title is of interest and applicable to our industry....

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
I get approx 15 job applications by e-mail per day. I'm astounded at the number of people who contact me who have not done the research as to what we do and I generally end up ignoring all of them.

The only time I will look at an application is if the subject title is of interest and applicable to our industry....
Gis a job!! - I can do that!

For the younger and non-UK site members - try typing "Yosser Hughes gis a job" on Youtube to see the relevance of the above comment!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You've only been looking for two weeks and you're already complaining?

4-6 months seems to be the norm among my colleagues and friends who had to look for new jobs. And they are very experienced, skilled people with years of expertise in their industries.

Unless you're lucky be prepared for a long wait.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am not complaining I am already aware of that..was just asking if I am missing something or is it normal here..Are recruitment agencies worth a shot?

·
Registered
383 Posts
My OH & I have been looking for a role for him for over 6 months now with no success.

It can be so frustrating as numerous times we know he can definitely do the role - meets all the criteria etc etc but still doesn't get a call back.

Dubai is all about 'Who you know' not 'What you know' it seems...especially in the logistics business :(

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
Ya I know about that but most companies do not write their phone no. on job sites.
Hi,
That is not being very positive or creative!!
Decent companies mention their name in their adverts - then use Google, yellow pages and linkedin to find their contact details - most data is available if you look in the right places.
You should know this better than most - as you are looking for an IT job!
Best of luck.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Without wanting to sound too blunt, you're an Indian male with a qualification in IT and some low level experience. Every single IT job you apply for, you will literally have about 100 Indian males with similar qualifications and experience at the very least, plus some local experience too competing against you. The odds are not in your favour.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Go with Stevesolar and Gavtek's advice. Understand that the odds are not in your favour, there are many Indians getting off the planes every single day hoping to make their Dubai dream a reality. A couple of weeks is a very short time frame for someone who has no local experience. Sadly, you are probably not going to get a call within the next few weeks either.

Have you tried using Linkedin? Also try applying directly on company websites. Google lists of companies in JAFZA, Internet City then go on each company website and apply for positions directly. Look for hiring manager details on linkedin, connect with them and send them an email. Don't only rely on the classifieds.

Good luck and I really hope you find something. Not hearing back from potential employers can be extremely demotivating, so hang in there and keep at it :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have you tried using Linkedin? Also try applying directly on company websites. Google lists of companies in JAFZA, Internet City then go on each company website and apply for positions directly. Look for hiring manager details on linkedin, connect with them and send them an email. Don't only rely on the classifieds.
Gee, thanks. I have a Freezone company and already receive about 50 emails a day from people looking for jobs - despite the fact I don't have any available.

Maybe I can forward them all to you and you can just let me know of anyone suitable?? :D:D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
despite the fact I don't have any available.

Maybe I can forward them all to you and you can just let me know of anyone suitable?? :D:D
If you don't have any available positions, then what is the point of finding out if the applicant is suitable or not ??

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Gee, thanks. I have a Freezone company and already receive about 50 emails a day from people looking for jobs - despite the fact I don't have any available.

Hey if you work in HR, then your job is to scour through those CVs looking for talent! So stop complaining and go do your job :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
With my experience and skilset, I was demotivated too by the online application process, was exiting in July after 3months of hunting. Greeted a total stranger in passing in ritaj, struck up a conversation and landed a post.
Perserverance and God's will always prevails.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyways on to the topic. I called a classified ad published in a newspaper for the post of HR assistant. The salary was attractive and so were the incentives. All looked good until they asked me to deposit my original documents with them for 10 days which made me suspicious about them and I declined the offer. Don't know whether I made the right choice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts