Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving from Lozere to Cruese and am having trouble getting SFR to reply to my emails to move our service. I have also telephoned and in my poor french told them the problem and was told someone would call in english. To date no reply and we are moving in one week.
help!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have found going into an SFR office/retail centre to be most helpful. I'm not sure where you are exactly but I know there are 2 employees at SFR Agde who speak sufficient English to always have been able to wade through my terrible French (and a little mime work helps)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

We have found going into an SFR office/retail centre to be most helpful. I'm not sure where you are exactly but I know there are 2 employees at SFR Agde who speak sufficient English to always have been able to wade through my terrible French (and a little mime work helps)
thank you so much for that information. we had not thought of that option. Fortunately, we do know where there is an SFR office and even though my french is not fluent, I do know the words to give them the proper information. Thank you again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good news, your suggestion worked like a charm. We will now have our service transferred very shortly after we move in. The gentleman that helped us did not speak English but we managed in French to get our message across and we are generally able to understand when people speak to us if they speak slowly.
Thanks again. Cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out for you...I've found all staff (English speaking or not) at SFR to be incredibly friendly and helpful...I also find I can understand when people speak French a little slower...or I can read it quite well...my speaking skills leave quite a lot to the imagination.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Iboyle

I am looking to start a service that would provide expats such as yourself with a translator over the phone. In this case you would call us and we'd call SFR as a 3 way call together. I am currently doing research into the possibility of a market for such a business. Given your experience would you have liked to have had?
I had this idea from helping numerous friends with problems just like yours.

Best regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good idea

This might be a service that people would want to use, however we found that, as suggested going to the SFR shop was the best idea. Dealing over the phone is difficult when you do not speak the language well and this could be a valuable service.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad it all worked out for you...I've found all staff (English speaking or not) at SFR to be incredibly friendly and helpful...I also find I can understand when people speak French a little slower...or I can read it quite well...my speaking skills leave quite a lot to the imagination.

Yes, I too can understand when French is spoken slowly and also read it quite well, but the speaking is coming slower. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
50,032 Posts
This might be a service that people would want to use, however we found that, as suggested going to the SFR shop was the best idea. Dealing over the phone is difficult when you do not speak the language well and this could be a valuable service.
Speaking a "foreign" language over the phone is perhaps the ultimate language test. Have been through this twice now, once with German and then again with French. Going into the shop and speaking face to face with people is usually the best approach if you can manage it.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bev, I've found people are very accommodating when you're face to face...in fact, I'm VERY impressed at the miming skills in all European countries we've travelled to...no malice intended, but I had the 'most trouble' understanding people in Manchester, England! Honestly, my husband had to "translate" more than once! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks to all of you for your help to fix the problem. It is no longer a problem. Hurray!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.