Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, I'm a .NET developer with 5 years of professional experience. Most people here know that by now. I hang my head in shame as I post this.

I have been here in Sydney for 34 days now (landed on 12th June), and after 200+ application, all I have got are just THREE calls and 1 screening with a recruiter (for which I haven't got the feedback even after 2 weeks, although he said I'll get it in 1 day). That is a pretty pathetic record, by ANY standards, since I'm not at all selective in applying. I've applied for contract and permanent roles all over Australia, and also for junior, mid-level and senior positions. Of course, I know that it is too early to be getting a job offer. But everyone else is getting some calls and interviews at least. I'm not.

So people say in Australia, just applying online is not enough and I need to network. Ok, I did that. I personally met and sent across my resumes to several contacts here. Nothing worked.

Then there is a common view that after applying, we need to follow up with recruiters. I did that too, and always one of the following happened:-

1) Someone answers the call and says the concerned person is not at the desk. They note down my name and number, assuring a call back, but no one ever calls.
2) They give the generic response, which always goes something like this "We are still in the process of shortlisting candidates. If you are successful, we'll call you. If not, we'll keep your details on file for future opportunities".
3) They mention that the job posting was a preemptive one, and the client is waiting for something else to happen so the job is on hold.

So yeah, calling them hasn't served any purpose so far.

I tried applying on LinkedIn too, but it hasn't really helped much.

And then comes the issue with odd jobs. Frankly speaking, part time jobs are very difficult, almost impossible to get here due to intense competition from students, since their minimum wage is lower. I was directly informed several times that they wish to consider only students for part time jobs, and I'm only eligible for full time casual jobs (that is, during the time when students can't work). I wouldn't want to do that because it leaves me with no time to look for skilled jobs.

And yeah, it looks like the job market is pretty good, because almost everyone else who came around the same time as me, or even later than me, are able to secure jobs or at least multiple interviews without problems.

The surprising thing is, even when I applied from India with an Indian number and address, I used to get several responses. I'm using the same CV here too. I wanted to be doubly sure that my CV was fine, so I got it professionally reviewed in Australia for a fee. I was told that there is no problem with my CV at all.

Yeah, so no skilled jobs, no part time jobs. The doors seem to be closing pretty fast on me. At least if I get to know where I'm going wrong, I can rectify that aspect. But it looks like I'm not really making any significant mistakes, yet I continue to be ignored.

Once again, I'm not expecting to have landed a job offer by now. But the progress is almost zero, and I'm not even getting calls or interviews.

So is there something I can change? Or should I just head back home? I know that I have spent a lot for the Visa and my stay here, but I might as well consider this as a failed business investment and return home. My funds won't last forever.

P.S. Please don't get alarmed by my post, because it is not indicative of the job market here. The opportunities are pretty good, and almost everyone is doing reasonably well regarding job search. So I'm likely just a one-off case of being extremely unfortunate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So yeah, I'm a .NET developer with 5 years of professional experience. Most people here know that by now. I hang my head in shame as I post this. I have been here in Sydney for 34 days now (landed on 12th June), and after 200+ application, all I have got are just THREE calls and 1 screening with a recruiter (for which I haven't got the feedback even after 2 weeks, although he said I'll get it in 1 day). That is a pretty pathetic record, by ANY standards, since I'm not at all selective in applying. I've applied for contract and permanent roles all over Australia, and also for junior, mid-level and senior positions. Of course, I know that it is too early to be getting a job offer. But everyone else is getting some calls and interviews at least. I'm not. So people say in Australia, just applying online is not enough and I need to network. Ok, I did that. I personally met and sent across my resumes to several contacts here. Nothing worked. Then there is a common view that after applying, we need to follow up with recruiters. I did that too, and always one of the following happened:- 1) Someone answers the call and says the concerned person is not at the desk. They note down my name and number, assuring a call back, but no one ever calls. 2) They give the generic response, which always goes something like this "We are still in the process of shortlisting candidates. If you are successful, we'll call you. If not, we'll keep your details on file for future opportunities". 3) They mention that the job posting was a preemptive one, and the client is waiting for something else to happen so the job is on hold. So yeah, calling them hasn't served any purpose so far. I tried applying on LinkedIn too, but it hasn't really helped much. And then comes the issue with odd jobs. Frankly speaking, part time jobs are very difficult, almost impossible to get here due to intense competition from students, since their minimum wage is lower. I was directly informed several times that they wish to consider only students for part time jobs, and I'm only eligible for full time casual jobs (that is, during the time when students can't work). I wouldn't want to do that because it leaves me with no time to look for skilled jobs. And yeah, it looks like the job market is pretty good, because almost everyone else who came around the same time as me, or even later than me, are able to secure jobs or at least multiple interviews without problems. The surprising thing is, even when I applied from India with an Indian number and address, I used to get several responses. I'm using the same CV here too. I wanted to be doubly sure that my CV was fine, so I got it professionally reviewed in Australia for a fee. I was told that there is no problem with my CV at all. Yeah, so no skilled jobs, no part time jobs. The doors seem to be closing pretty fast on me. At least if I get to know where I'm going wrong, I can rectify that aspect. But it looks like I'm not really making any significant mistakes, yet I continue to be ignored. Once again, I'm not expecting to have landed a job offer by now. But the progress is almost zero, and I'm not even getting calls or interviews. So is there something I can change? Or should I just head back home? I know that I have spent a lot for the Visa and my stay here, but I might as well consider this as a failed business investment and return home. My funds won't last forever. P.S. Please don't get alarmed by my post, because it is not indicative of the job market here. The opportunities are pretty good, and almost everyone is doing reasonably well regarding job search. So I'm likely just a one-off case of being extremely unfortunate.
I have been following your posts and discussion with other members silently.

It's sad that in spite of talent, luck plays such a pivotal role! I would understand that if everyone with a profile similar to yours is not getting a job but I just fail to understand that why some people or like you say most people with your profile are getting one and you just aren't! I think your case would scare the hell out of everyone on this forum!

At least you are from the IT sector. People like us are from the mechanical / industrial / manufacturing sector. At least you have jobs to apply for! We have way fewer jobs to even apply for let alone getting them! This would mean one thing for sure. There may be jobs out there but also there are perhaps several more applicants than jobs who are all applying for these jobs. So maybe for the jobs you have applied for several people applied for the same jobs and perhaps they were selected over you. Why this? Only God knows. This is what is luck or destiny I suppose.

Having said this, I have heard from some others that it takes people several months (even 6-8) or at times even 10 to get a job. One person told me that for 10 months he did not get a single call. And all of a sudden after 10 months he got 5 interview calls which out which one was converted. I asked him how he survived for 10 months without a job? He said his family supported him and he used to work part time as well. Again I am so shocked to believe that even part time jobs are not so easy to get!

I think based on your case the only thing I can conclude is that one just has to be lucky to get a job. The question is how long can you wait to try your luck? Also what if you have a family or a job you have kept on hold in India? Pathetic is all I can say!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been following your posts and discussion with other members silently.

It's sad that in spite of talent, luck plays such a pivotal role! I would understand that if everyone with a profile similar to yours is not getting a job but I just fail to understand that why some people or like you say most people with your profile are getting one and you just aren't! I think your case would scare the hell out of everyone on this forum!

At least you are from the IT sector. People like us are from the mechanical / industrial / manufacturing sector. At least you have jobs to apply for! We have way fewer jobs to even apply for let alone getting them! This would mean one thing for sure. There may be jobs out there but also there are perhaps several more applicants than jobs who are all applying for these jobs. So maybe for the jobs you have applied for several people applied for the same jobs and perhaps they were selected over you. Why this? Only God knows. This is what is luck or destiny I suppose.

Having said this, I have heard from some others that it takes people several months (even 6-8) or at times even 10 to get a job. One person told me that for 10 months he did not get a single call. And all of a sudden after 10 months he got 5 interview calls which out which one was converted. I asked him how he survived for 10 months without a job? He said his family supported him and he used to work part time as well. Again I am so shocked to believe that even part time jobs are not so easy to get!

I think based on your case the only thing I can conclude is that one just has to be lucky to get a job. The question is how long can you wait to try your luck? Also what if you have a family or a job you have kept on hold in India? Pathetic is all I can say!!
Yeah, I do suppose luck plays a major role. Or else, one needs to be a multi-millionaire, so that he/she has enough funds to survive till they get their first break.

I'm just looking out for cheap flights to go back. As flights become too expensive when the date is nearer, I'd just want to book a flight back home now for mid-September or something. In the unlikely event that I get a job by then, I can cancel my flight ticket. I don't know what else I can do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I do suppose luck plays a major role. Or else, one needs to be a multi-millionaire, so that he/she has enough funds to survive till they get their first break. I'm just looking out for cheap flights to go back. As flights become too expensive when the date is nearer, I'd just want to book a flight back home now for mid-September or something. In the unlikely event that I get a job by then, I can cancel my flight ticket. I don't know what else I can do.
Have you tried applying for junior positions in your role? I've heard a lot that most people need to scale down on their positions / designations to start with.

You still have more than 4.5 years left on your PR right? You could continue trying from India or even get back here after a couple of years to try again? The next time with more skills may be?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Honestly speaking, to give up after one month is such a pity considering what one has to do to get that independent PR visa 189 or even 190.

I have friends living in Australia and all told me that even a poor student can survive and no reason why a PR professional cant do it there. I also have a friend in Melbourne who was staying with temporary visa and working temporary job while trying to get visa 189. He said he was asked if he has PR when he went for interviews.

It takes months. To be fair, we cannot expect everything to fall into places within a month or two. Even as an experience engineer who graduated and studied in Singapore with a few years experience under my belt, I cannot say it is easy to find job in SINGAPORE with my profile. I sent so many applications not because I hate my current job but because I wanted to get higher salary and better environment.

it was easier a few years back when I didn't have experience and lower expectation. the higher salary you expect, the more difficult it becomes unless you really have exceptionally special expertise. If not, employers rather hire some fresh grads or juniors with lower salary expectation to do something we can. So my point is, no matter where you are, I don't think it is that easy to get a job within a short time especially when luck plays a role.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Funkyzoom, there is no shame in the situation you are in! It's probably just a matter of time and I feel you shouldn't give up hope, just yet! If you can manage financially, a little longer, things might just turn around!

Give yourself a break for a few days and restart. We all pray that you get a job ASAP!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi funkyzoom,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.
Just continue applying for jobs and expanding your network.
Although skills and experience do count, I believe it is luck and connections that plays a bigger role.
Knowing the right person, being at the right place at the right time. Things like that.

Do not give up.
If funds are getting low, review your budget allocation and adjust your spending. Eat 2 times a day instead of 3.
If morale is getting low, meet a friend or contact your family. Have someone to share your feelings.
If stress is getting to you, spend a few minutes per day and relax on a park. Try to forget job searching for a minute and appreciate the beauty around you.

Right now your goal, aside from getting a job, would be to minimize your spending and keeping your hopes up so you can make it longer in AU.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Funkuzoom, don't loose heart it's just a month. Try to contemplate on what could be lacking on your resume.
Look at it as an outsider or try to get it reviewed by your friends and if possible rewrite it. Also, make sure your cover letter is very good.
I'm not sure how much do professional resume writers charge but if it's not too much go for it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried applying for junior positions in your role? I've heard a lot that most people need to scale down on their positions / designations to start with.

You still have more than 4.5 years left on your PR right? You could continue trying from India or even get back here after a couple of years to try again? The next time with more skills may be?
Yeah, as stated in my original post, I have been applying for junior roles as well.

Yeah, I do have 4.5 years, but once I leave I don't suppose I'll come back here again. I don't think my skills are an issue, because I do match most of the skills mentioned in job descriptions.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi funkyzoom,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.
Just continue applying for jobs and expanding your network.
Although skills and experience do count, I believe it is luck and connections that plays a bigger role.
Knowing the right person, being at the right place at the right time. Things like that.

Do not give up.
If funds are getting low, review your budget allocation and adjust your spending. Eat 2 times a day instead of 3.
If morale is getting low, meet a friend or contact your family. Have someone to share your feelings.
If stress is getting to you, spend a few minutes per day and relax on a park. Try to forget job searching for a minute and appreciate the beauty around you.

Right now your goal, aside from getting a job, would be to minimize your spending and keeping your hopes up so you can make it longer in AU.
I'm managing with very little. I have also been eating lesser, and lost around 5 kgs weight since I arrived here. I'm reducing my expenses in whatever way I can. But still the funds won't last forever.

And the worst part is, whenever I have got calls, I have messed it up badly due to my nervousness and excess eagerness. I was advised by people that when I am asked if I have interviews scheduled, I should say I have attended a couple of them and have a couple of interviews lined up as well to create an impression that I'm sought after. And when I try saying that, the recruiters probe me so much about these clients and interviews. So I get scared if they would blacklist me for saying such stuff (which may not be true), if they actually go to the extent of calling these companies and verifying if I interviewed with them.

It's like I have to think 100 times before uttering every word, and the 'punishment' for saying something wrong is being blacklisted. Different people provide different advises, and I don't know which ones to follow. Everything is so damn messed up.

Every call from a recruiter (although I have only got 3 until now) sounds like a police interrogation. Lot of conflicting suggestions everywhere.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On the opposite site, sharing this news as it might be encouraging for some.

I have many Filipino friends who used to live in Singapore moved to Sydney earlier this year. Most of them got PR visa. One got student visa. All got jobs now.

I suggest you get a temporary job even as a full time sales staff at supermarket or whatever. Look for job in the evening or off day. By hook or by crook, you are already in Australia. You might as well grab any job instead of packing the bag and head home empty handed.

As the time passes by, you will get more used to the place, get more confident speaking to locals (addressing what you mentioned about being nervous), got more friends and better net work. Then it would be a matter of time you nail your perfect job.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi Funkyzoom,
You say that you have applied for all sorts of roles in all levels and in all areas - a bit of a scattergun approach.
You really need to have a number of CVs prepared that highlight different aspects of your experience - so you send the "junior" focused CV for a junior role, the "senior" emphasized CV for the more senior roles etc.
You need to make sure that your CV only has the bare essential key points - I see so many CVs from people that make the person sound like they are qualified to be the CEO of Microsoft - these come over as being full of bs and simply get rejected.
The next most important thing is the covering letter - this needs to be short, sweet and highlights in three or four bullet points why your exact experience is right for this role.
Take time to spell check and make sure that your covering letter is absolutely dedicated to that job - not a copy and paste from a previous job application - that still has the previous job title embedded in it. You would be surprised at how many times I have seen a letter that says something like "I feel I am perfect for the role of environmental manager" - when the job advertised is for a sustainability engineer. This small mistake shows a lack of attention to detail and smacks of someone who would do sloppy work.
Small things really matter at the CV, cover letter and then interview stage.
It reminds me of horse or formula 1 racing - they race for miles but the winner wins by a few tenths of a second!
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
I suppose you are also eligible to live and work in New Zealand in sub class 189 visa..Why can't you also give a try for New Zealand..It is Just a option from my side..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm managing with very little. I have also been eating lesser, and lost around 5 kgs weight since I arrived here. I'm reducing my expenses in whatever way I can. But still the funds won't last forever.

And the worst part is, whenever I have got calls, I have messed it up badly due to my nervousness and excess eagerness. I was advised by people that when I am asked if I have interviews scheduled, I should say I have attended a couple of them and have a couple of interviews lined up as well to create an impression that I'm sought after. And when I try saying that, the recruiters probe me so much about these clients and interviews. So I get scared if they would blacklist me for saying such stuff (which may not be true), if they actually go to the extent of calling these companies and verifying if I interviewed with them.

It's like I have to think 100 times before uttering every word, and the 'punishment' for saying something wrong is being blacklisted. Different people provide different advises, and I don't know which ones to follow. Everything is so damn messed up.

Every call from a recruiter (although I have only got 3 until now) sounds like a police interrogation. Lot of conflicting suggestions everywhere.
First thing RELAX. This is not your first Job search. You have skills they require and your CV says that. That is the reason recruiters have called you. So you will get a job eventually. but you need to relax.
Secondly, Forget about your finances for a day (yes one full day: 24 hours) the day you are meeting the recruiter. You are making every meeting a matter of survival. Most probably it comes off as needy. Needy may not inspire confidence to a recruiter.
Thirdly, Forget what the world is saying, calm down and do what works for you. You need to tell the recruiter how great you are and how perfect you are for the role. You can do that best by being yourself. Trying things that works for others will probably show as fake and diffident.

The above is just my opinion. I just feel that you need to relax a bit more.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly speaking, to give up after one month is such a pity considering what one has to do to get that independent PR visa 189 or even 190.

I have friends living in Australia and all told me that even a poor student can survive and no reason why a PR professional cant do it there. I also have a friend in Melbourne who was staying with temporary visa and working temporary job while trying to get visa 189. He said he was asked if he has PR when he went for interviews.

It takes months. To be fair, we cannot expect everything to fall into places within a month or two. Even as an experience engineer who graduated and studied in Singapore with a few years experience under my belt, I cannot say it is easy to find job in SINGAPORE with my profile. I sent so many applications not because I hate my current job but because I wanted to get higher salary and better environment.

it was easier a few years back when I didn't have experience and lower expectation. the higher salary you expect, the more difficult it becomes unless you really have exceptionally special expertise. If not, employers rather hire some fresh grads or juniors with lower salary expectation to do something we can. So my point is, no matter where you are, I don't think it is that easy to get a job within a short time especially when luck plays a role.

Good Luck.
I think you missed the point. I mentioned in original post that I do understand it takes months to get a job. But what I'm talking about here, is the progress I'm making. It's actually a negative integer.

Anyway, thanks for wishing me luck. I really need it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funkyzoom, there is no shame in the situation you are in! It's probably just a matter of time and I feel you shouldn't give up hope, just yet! If you can manage financially, a little longer, things might just turn around!

Give yourself a break for a few days and restart. We all pray that you get a job ASAP!
Thank you. I'm planning to give it a break too. But the process here is so messed up. Recruiters don't know crap in most cases, because they aren't technical people. And it is almost impossible to contact employers directly.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Funkyzoom,
You say that you have applied for all sorts of roles in all levels and in all areas - a bit of a scattergun approach.
You really need to have a number of CVs prepared that highlight different aspects of your experience - so you send the "junior" focused CV for a junior role, the "senior" emphasized CV for the more senior roles etc.
You need to make sure that your CV only has the bare essential key points - I see so many CVs from people that make the person sound like they are qualified to be the CEO of Microsoft - these come over as being full of bs and simply get rejected.
The next most important thing is the covering letter - this needs to be short, sweet and highlights in three or four bullet points why your exact experience is right for this role.
Take time to spell check and make sure that your covering letter is absolutely dedicated to that job - not a copy and paste from a previous job application - that still has the previous job title embedded in it. You would be surprised at how many times I have seen a letter that says something like "I feel I am perfect for the role of environmental manager" - when the job advertised is for a sustainability engineer. This small mistake shows a lack of attention to detail and smacks of someone who would do sloppy work.
Small things really matter at the CV, cover letter and then interview stage.
It reminds me of horse or formula 1 racing - they race for miles but the winner wins by a few tenths of a second!
Best of luck
Steve
Well....if I send different CVs according to the position, and if the same recruiter is handling more than one of these positions, won't they blacklist me because they would be getting 2 CVs from the same person, which project different skills?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suppose you are also eligible to live and work in New Zealand in sub class 189 visa..Why can't you also give a try for New Zealand..It is Just a option from my side..
I don't think I can keep working in NewZealand and keep my Australian PR active.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First thing RELAX. This is not your first Job search. You have skills they require and your CV says that. That is the reason recruiters have called you. So you will get a job eventually. but you need to relax.
Secondly, Forget about your finances for a day (yes one full day: 24 hours) the day you are meeting the recruiter. You are making every meeting a matter of survival. Most probably it comes off as needy. Needy may not inspire confidence to a recruiter.
Thirdly, Forget what the world is saying, calm down and do what works for you. You need to tell the recruiter how great you are and how perfect you are for the role. You can do that best by being yourself. Trying things that works for others will probably show as fake and diffident.

The above is just my opinion. I just feel that you need to relax a bit more.
Relax is one thing which I'm just NOT able to do. Things are getting out of hand man. I seriously regret making this move. It feels like everyone here is out to get me. And I don't want to go back empty handed either.

Now I'm beginning to feel that I may actually not be skilled enough to find work in Australia, and I was probably under the illusion that I could get a job here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I still believe it's a supply demand thing combined with luck, destiny and skill set. If you are lucky and/or your job/skills has a greater demand than supply and/or you are just destined to get a job/live in Australia things happen. Or else they don't. But one can never know what's going to work (or not work) for them so I don't think trying was a mistake. You shouldn't regret it since you would have never have known the truth unless try and go through and see the end result. And you said you were going back in September right? Luck like winning a lottery or having a theft or break in or for that matter getting that one job out of the thousands and thousands out there needs just ONE day. That one job call you get will take you through until the end. I would suggest don't give up hope and wait for that ONE day when the call comes. It can come anytime - right now or after one month but all it takes is one day. So don't lose hope.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts