Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to equip a new kitchen I am surprised to find that the idea of a garbage disposal seems to be almost unknown in France. Oh sure, the guys at Castorama grasped the concept and thought that it seemed like a good idea, but had no idea if such a thing existed in France. Further research seems to confirm this.

I would have thought that one or more European companies would have taken the garbage disposal idea and run with it, producing a small, stylish unit with amazing efficiency (digital motor perhaps?) that would take the worst what could be shoved down a kitchen drain and mash it so fine that it became a liquid. A "dyson" disposal if you catch my drift.

But, sadly, no.

Such a disappointment.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Looking to equip a new kitchen I am surprised to find that the idea of a garbage disposal seems to be almost unknown in France. Oh sure, the guys at Castorama grasped the concept and thought that it seemed like a good idea, but had no idea if such a thing existed in France. Further research seems to confirm this.

I would have thought that one or more European companies would have taken the garbage disposal idea and run with it, producing a small, stylish unit with amazing efficiency (digital motor perhaps?) that would take the worst what could be shoved down a kitchen drain and mash it so fine that it became a liquid. A "dyson" disposal if you catch my drift.

But, sadly, no.

Such a disappointment.
They are considered to be non-environmentally friendly. Quite aside from the fact that there are so many issues with drains in older apartments in France. Not good for the waterways and oceans either BTW.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Oh I just assumed my cheap apartments didn't have them because they are old/cheap. Guess it's not a thing at all in France! And EH once you've had one, it seems almost blasphemous not to. How will I get rid of the rotting scraps in my drain? Just knowing they're there creeps me out (say bits of onion or broccoli...) (I guess vinegar and baking soda is the best I can do...)

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
I seem to recall years ago that Darty or someone advertised a garbage disposal unit here. But only for a few months - and then it disappeared.

However, if you check amazon.fr it turns out there IS a garbage disposal unit available: https://www.amazon.fr/Teka-Tr-23-1-...d=1507583068&sr=8-3&keywords=garbage+disposal

No idea how well it works or if you'll have problems with it in the French drain and sewage system. But hey - go for broke. In any event, no, most folks here don't have them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
577 Posts
They are considered to be non-environmentally friendly. Quite aside from the fact that there are so many issues with drains in older apartments in France. Not good for the waterways and oceans either BTW.
They are non-environmentally friendly. Same old mentality just bin-it or down the drain. One of my few complaints about living in Paris is there are no composting facilities, at least not in our area. They collect the trash daily, hose the sidewalks frequently and street cleaners are everywhere.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have family in Stockholm. They live in a flat and I was surprised to find the double sink had a waste disposal for organic matter. I had always believed these contraptions were environmentally harmful, (as well as being loud),and Swedes rather pride themselves on their environmentalism. But, I discovered that the waste is served by a separate pipe system from the water waste. See this for how it all works.

https://www.naturvardsverket.se/Documents/publikationer6400/978-91-620-8595-7

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
What is a garbage disposal ?

Do you mean a déchetterie ?
It's a broyeur that goes in your sink. They were all the vogue some years back - but as far as I know they are still considered a "do it yourself" item. I suspect that the frquent use of that PVC pipe in home plumbing may limit their practical use as the vibrations would probably shake loose the joints in short order.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
306 Posts
My husband still talks about discovering those in the US. I guess they never were a thing here.
When I was growing up, they were so common- everyone had one.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend in London finished his attic and installed a small bathroom. The toilet in that thing has a motor in it that grinds up everything to an amazing spec. I thought that there'd be a similar thing for the kitchen sink.
Anyone have James Dysion's telephone number? Perhaps I could pitch him the idea.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I seem to recall years ago that Darty or someone advertised a garbage disposal unit here. But only for a few months - and then it disappeared.

However, if you check amazon.fr it turns out there IS a garbage disposal unit available: https://www.amazon.fr/Teka-Tr-23-1-...d=1507583068&sr=8-3&keywords=garbage+disposal

No idea how well it works or if you'll have problems with it in the French drain and sewage system. But hey - go for broke. In any event, no, most folks here don't have them.
Cheers,
Bev
Looks great except for the "Pas recommandé pour installation en suspension les éviers" ("Not recommended for installation in sinks") note at the bottom of the listing.
Where do they want you to install it I wonder?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Gotta love the Swedes; sorry, could not get link to work - 404
The pipe goes to a tank underground and its contents are collected by the town garbage collector and then used to produce biogas and cycled into the energy production system. You can google it. So it is all about joined-up thinking. The other thing I noticed was how the metro system in Stockholm is so child and wheelchair friendly - always a working lift. It is really punishing to get around Paris or London or New York on Public transport if you are using a pushchair or wheelchair.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My husband still talks about discovering those in the US. I guess they never were a thing here.
When I was growing up, they were so common- everyone had one.
When we moved into our house in Omaha we had the kitchen re-done and a double sink put in the kitchen. I ordered, and had installed, two strongest-motor-you-have-please disposals, one in each sink.

The kitchen design guy thought that I was nuts, as did my wife, but the plumber nodded his head and understood as did most of the guys in the neighborhood over the years. You could throw anything into either sink and just say "bye-bye" to it without a care in the world.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Oh I just assumed my cheap apartments didn't have them because they are old/cheap. Guess it's not a thing at all in France! And EH once you've had one, it seems almost blasphemous not to. How will I get rid of the rotting scraps in my drain? Just knowing they're there creeps me out (say bits of onion or broccoli...) (I guess vinegar and baking soda is the best I can do...)
I have had garbage disposal units in the past - back in the 80s in Australia, where they are still sold. However, I lived in an area that was severely impacted by years of drought, so they fell out of favour there.

You might be interested in this:

Kitchen waste disposal units increase the load of organic carbon that reaches the water treatment plant, which in turn increases the consumption of oxygen.[28] Metcalf and Eddy quantified this impact as 0.04 pound of biochemical oxygen demand per person per day where disposers are used.[29] An Australian study that compared in-sink food processing to composting alternatives via a life cycle assessment found that while the in-sink disposal performed well with respect to climate change, acidification, and energy usage, it did contribute to eutrophication and toxicity potentials.[30]
This may result in higher costs for energy needed to supply oxygen in secondary operations. However, if the waste water treatment is finely controlled, the organic carbon in the food may help to keep the bacterial decomposition running, as carbon may be deficient in that process. This increased carbon serves as an inexpensive and continuous source of carbon necessary for biologic nutrient removal.[31]
One result is larger amounts of solid residue from the waste-water treatment process. According to a study at the East Bay Municipal Utility District’s wastewater treatment plant funded by the EPA, food waste produces three times the biogas as compared to municipal sewage sludge.[32] The value of the biogas produced from anaerobic digestion of food waste appears to exceed the cost of processing the food waste and disposing of the residual biosolids (based on a LAX Airport proposal to divert 8,000 tons/year of bulk food waste).[33]
In a study at the Hyperion (Los Angeles) sewage treatment works, disposer use showed minimal to no impact on the total biosolids byproduct from sewage treatment and similarly minimal impact on handling processes as the high volatile solids destruction (VSD) from food waste yield a minimum amount of solids in residue.[33]
Energy usage is not high; typically 500 - 1500*W of power is used, comparable to an electric iron, but only for a very short time, totaling approximately 3-4 kWh of electricity per household per year.[34] Daily water usage varies, but is typically one gallon of water per person per day,[35] comparable to an additional toilet flush.[36] One survey of these food processing units found a slight increase in household water use.[37]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_disposal_unit#Environmental_impact

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Be aware that garbage disposal units are not permitted in many apartment buildings in France - check with the copropriété first if you plan to install one.

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
A friend in London finished his attic and installed a small bathroom. The toilet in that thing has a motor in it that grinds up everything to an amazing spec. I thought that there'd be a similar thing for the kitchen sink.
Anyone have James Dysion's telephone number? Perhaps I could pitch him the idea.
What is actually pretty common here are the toilets "broyeurs" - google WC broyeur for more information. This site sums things up pretty well: https://wc.ooreka.fr/comprendre/wc-broyeur

Apparently they are made for those with narrow pipes or where one wants to install a toilet in a part of the house not intended for a toilet. One big inconvenience is that you're not supposed to put anything other than pee and poop in the toilet. Used toilet paper goes into a garbage can rather than down the loo. (At least that's what one person with such a device asked her guests to do.)

I suspect, too, that the water treatment facilities here in Europe may operate somewhat differently than the US type, which would explain why kitchen sink garbage disposals aren't common.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
And the fact that so many houses in France have fosse septiques which would be messed up and not operate properly if all the household waste went down them without being "processed" first

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
We have a pump in our kitchen (similar to the pump in the toilet you describe) because there is not outflow pipe so it just pumps the water to the nearest one. Which is what your friends pump does. I would not put waste other than water down my sink.

The idea of putting any old [email protected] down a sink sounds very disgusting. Not surprised our oceans are dying.

Your are living in Europe now :) You need to change your thinking process ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts