Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Friday. I shipped my pkg. 1 week ago on Friday July 3rd via FedEx Express. The tracking number said it was received on Tuesday July 7th at the ECO office in Sheffield. However, I have not received an email from them saying that it's been received. I'm concerned and wish I could get ahold of someone there for confirmation.

Some facts to consider:
1. This is my 2nd application. The first time I sent the pkg FedEx with a return label inside. I was told that it has to be returned via UPS and I got the link to use the vsfglobal website, so I emailed the return label and it was fine.

2. When I had previously received the form at my first biometrics appointment, it had said to use either FedEx OR UPS. The 2nd time I went for biometrics, I mentioned what happened and they said they now have a revised form which has the vsf shipping info and doesn't mention FedEx. So I bought the 2 UPS labels. However, when I went to drop off the box, UPS was already closed for the Independence Day holiday, so I went to a FedEx office and decided to pay for a FedEx label for the outbound so that it could arrive sooner than with UPS. (My biometrics were on Mon. June 22 so the 2-week deadline was Mon. July 6th.) I didn't select "Priority" service because the instructions said not to, being the 2nd time. My intended date of travel is Aug. 19th and I realize we're cutting it close!

3. I tried to cancel the purchase I had made a couple hours prior for the round trip labels, so that I could instead purchase only the return trip label (as I had done with my first app) but the system didn't let me cancel. So I decided to include my UPS return label, but because my box was already sealed up, I had to put it inside the clear plastic label sleeve, behind the FedEx waybill. I hope they can find it there!!

* * Does UKVI always send an email confirmation of receipt? * * I've checked my spam folder and it's not there. Please let me know; thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhhhhhhh. Thank you so much, nyclon!

I wish they could be consistent.

Oh well.

Hopefully, any difficulty finding my return label won't delay the process.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good. Thanks.

You'd think for that money, they'd have a temp worker or somebody just to do that job of emailing each applicant upon receipt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good luck TNLady!! This is our second go for a spouse visa as well (first denied due to applying from within the UK (doh!) and for not enough financial evidence). Sheffield received our application May 14th and we got our email May 20th. No response on a decision yet!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, Court287. I do hope you hear soon. I'm curious to know whether you stated a timeframe for your intended departure? I stated that we really want to make it to my nephew's wedding on Aug. 29. But I forgot to enclose the invitation. I hope they don't think I made up that date arbitrarily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly, we had a solicitor who suggested our application would be processed with 2 weeks due to the projected timeline the gov.uk website had at the time....imagine our dismay when it's now 6 weeks later and no decision yet. They had out a travel date of June 1st as my step children that we have custody of in Scotland had doctor appointments, school functions, social services appointments and court dates to attend.. As we have yet to have a decision handed down to us, I assumed they don't really look at this date too stringently, hopefully! The good news is we have since discovered a charter flight group (Thomas Cook?) and this will save us tons on a flight! I was looking at $1800 for myself and my daughter who is state side with me, but since finding them I am looking at $900 for us both together!
Small miracles to help alleviate the financial stress for sure..now to see about getting them to make a decision. If this doesn't work we are going to Ireland via freedom of movement rights.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I did receive an email confirmation today, 6 days after my FedEx tracking said it arrived. I'm so sorry to hear about your appointments that you weren't able to attend. I didn't know Thomas Cook had an airline, so thanks, I've checked it out and saw a $450 flight in Aug. as well as other higher ones. Please keep us updated on when you receive your decision.

Meanwhile, I wonder what people do if they need a passport to travel briefly roundtrip before theirs is returned by UKVI? I believe a temporary passport is possible but am having trouble finding info on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I understand we cannot travel into the UK until a visa decision has been made, however what if it's needed to travel elsewhere? Just curious

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks; I think "Court" meant if I wanted to travel to another country such as France or Brazil (I don't; I just want to travel to the UK by a certain date. And if I don't get my visa in time for that, I wish I could make a brief visit, then return to the US and continue waiting for my visa. If I get it, then I'd go settle; if not, then at least I made the brief roundtrip).

But as you said, they don't allow it.

I wonder about international businesspeople who often have to use their passports for travel and if UKVI is tying up their passport for 2-3 months, then that wreaks havoc on their life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.