Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit puzzled regarding the role of the Nigerians that stand outside the grocery stores holding a single newspaper. Do they sell the newspaper? Are they there for hire (to carry your groceries back)? Are they hired greeters? Something else?

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled regarding the role of the Nigerians that stand outside the grocery stores holding a single newspaper. Do they sell the newspaper? Are they there for hire (to carry your groceries back)? Are they hired greeters? Something else?
They sell the Scammers Weekly, you get a free copy if you give him your email address. ;)

Apart from that I have never seen this ?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yes, I have seen at least two Africans in the Goya district of Madrid holding out newspaper as if it was a tray.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
They are probably selling La Farola.
Haven't you ever seen people selling the Big Issue in the UK?
Just wondering how you know their nationality?

PS Around by Ramon y Cajal hospital (for example), there are lots of black guys "helping " you park your car and some of them use a rolled up newspaper as the tool to guide you into the parking space

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
They are probably selling La Farola.
Haven't you ever seen people selling the Big Issue in the UK?
Just wondering how you know their nationality?

PS Around by Ramon y Cajal hospital (for example), there are lots of black guys "helping " you park your car and some of them use a rolled up newspaper as the tool to guide you into the parking space
You'll also meet them near the Parque de Atenas between the Palace and the river, and I've seen people in official looking clothes trying to "direct" parking in the free car park next to the Madrid zoo.

The Africans outside the supermarkets just hang around for the occasional tip from the regulars, and they will help you with your shopping for a small fee. I suspect the copy of "La Farola" helps them get round laws against begging. They only ever seem to have one copy, probably a few years old, and certainly not intended for sale.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
You'll also meet them near the Parque de Atenas between the Palace and the river, and I've seen people in official looking clothes trying to "direct" parking in the free car park next to the Madrid zoo.

The Africans outside the supermarkets just hang around for the occasional tip from the regulars, and they will help you with your shopping for a small fee. I suspect the copy of "La Farola" helps them get round laws against begging. They only ever seem to have one copy, probably a few years old, and certainly not intended for sale.
Well, La Farola has come in for a lot of stick over the years - not sure what the deal is, but it seems it wasn't/ isn't exactly all that it said it was. Put that together with the general suspicion that this way of raising funds was met with by the Spanish plus the thing that lots of people do of giving a small amount of money, and not taking or wanting the magazine so that people who do want the mag surprise, and may even upset the vendor...I'm not sure that it's very sucessful

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
As I have said before, I fail to see why these people expect you to give them YOUR HARD EARNED CASH, basely solely on their ablity to hold out their hand or hold up a bit of paper...best advice... ignore them or ask them explain why they deserve your money

Then ignore them

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
As I have said before, I fail to see why these people expect you to give them YOUR HARD EARNED CASH, basely solely on their ablity to hold out their hand or hold up a bit of paper...best advice... ignore them or ask them explain why they deserve your money

Then ignore them
Because they are homeless???

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Well around here I wouldn't let anyone near my shopping nor my car. I know of half a dozen people who have had handbags nicked from them while being distracted by 'helpers'.

If anyone comes too near us in a supermarket car park I shout **** OFF at them very loudly. That usually works. Some words work in all languages.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Well around here I wouldn't let anyone near my shopping nor my car. I know of half a dozen people who have had handbags nicked from them while being distracted by 'helpers'.

If anyone comes too near us in a supermarket car park I shout **** OFF at them very loudly. That usually works. Some words work in all languages.
I mentioned that there are people "helping" people in R&C hospital in Madrid, and other areas. This is in the street, not in the car parks which are underground pay parking. They are there "helping" whether you like it or not. You of course do not need any help parking which is why it's in """" If you shout Fcuk Off at them you're likely to have a problem with the person who's "helping" you and his mates who are "helping" nearby. If you refuse their help when you get out of the car, you may find it damaged in some way when you get back.
I'm in 2 minds about this kind of thing. I'd like to be able to decide who I give money to, and who not. However, these people are not big earners. They are trying to carve out a living for themselves as best they can. It's certainly not a fun "job". Does it hurt to give them a euro??
The official carpark is woefully undersized as they usually are in hospitals in the Madrid area so people are forced to park on the street.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I mentioned that there are people "helping" people in R&C hospital in Madrid, and other areas. This is in the street, not in the car parks which are underground pay parking. They are there "helping" whether you like it or not. You of course do not need any help parking which is why it's in """" If you shout Fcuk Off at them you're likely to have a problem with the person who's "helping" you and his mates who are "helping" nearby. If you refuse their help when you get out of the car, you may find it damaged in some way when you get back.
I'm in 2 minds about this kind of thing. I'd like to be able to decide who I give money to, and who not. However, these people are not big earners. They are trying to carve out a living for themselves as best they can. It's certainly not a fun "job". Does it hurt to give them a euro??
The official carpark is woefully undersized as they usually are in hospitals in the Madrid area so people are forced to park on the street.
what you are describing is organized intimadation, so yes it does hurt to encourage it by paying them.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
and you know they are homeless because??? For all you know they could have several houses
The original premise of the paper was that homeless people could buy the paper at one euro a copy and sell it for 2. They had to be registered and have a card. It worked a bit like the mini credits in Africa, often orientated towards women. The idea was to stop begging and to give them something to sell.There were some problems about whether the founder of the movement was up to no good somewhere, and it disappeared for a while and then came back. There were also problems 'cos many people just gave them money and didn't take the magazine so it was like begging.

Whatever, it seems like a flawed plan, but personally I think I'm much better off than the people who are selling the paper, so I can afford to give them something. I very rarely do however because I prefer to give to organisations. I'm sure it can't be much fun selling something out on the street every day though. They might own a string of houses, they just might...:)

PS It seems that the majority of sellers today are Nigerian. Don't know why.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Then ignore them
If they wind up the Scots then maybe they do serve a purpose after all :D

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
what you are describing is organized intimadation, so yes it does hurt to encourage it by paying them.
Yes - it's the same with the people in the car park. I have on a couple of occasions given them a euro from the safety of my car as I drive out just to show no hard feelings. Shouldn't do really - it just encourages them, Mrs. J doesn't like me doing it.

I know it's hard - I'm sure at least some of them are deserving but you have to look out for yourself.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Whatever, it seems like a flawed plan, but personally I think I'm much better off than the people who are selling the paper, so I can afford to give them something. I very rarely do however because I prefer to give to organisations. I'm sure it can't be much fun selling something out on the street every day though. They might own a string of houses, they just might...:)
I used to give to organisations as they claimed that they could do more to "rehabilitate" people, but after the recent disclosures about how the directors of of such "charities" in the UK also see fit to pay themselves six figure salaries with my money, and how less than half of it ends up with the intended recipients, I've stopped that as well. Now I'll give to people on the streets who obviously have problems, such as missing limbs and that's about it when it comes to "giving money away". We also employ a Rumanian cleaner, which seems a lot more contructive anyway.

BTW There's a guy with no arms who begs around Sol by placing a McDonalds cup (with coins inside) in his mouth and shaking it at people. I've been told he then takes most of his donations to one of the nearby arcades and spends them all in the slot machines. Not quite sure what to make of it - some people say it's encouraging gambling, but let's face it, there's only so many things you can do to entertain yourself if you haven't got any arms.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts