Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My partner and I are due to sign our 12-months rental agreement for an apartment in Benalmadena.
I've read that we need an NIE number and a Spanish bank account, but that's about as much as I know. :eek:
Would any experienced expat have time to give us any advice on this or any other things we need to know?

Thanks in advance,

Gerrie :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have any real solutions, but I can tell you from what I've read the NIE number is pretty easy to obtain, but when I've gone to my village police station there was a waiting list. They advised us to go to Valencia and try there, and it would take some time. We were able to get a Caixa bank account without an NIE, but when we eventually give them our NIE, our bank fees will go down. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I don't have any real solutions, but I can tell you from what I've read the NIE number is pretty easy to obtain, but when I've gone to my village police station there was a waiting list. They advised us to go to Valencia and try there, and it would take some time. We were able to get a Caixa bank account without an NIE, but when we eventually give them our NIE, our bank fees will go down. Good luck!
I think you may be a little confused.

Getting the NIE should be fairly straight forward if not time consuming. You just need a reason for needing one and opening a bank account should suffice.

An NIE will NOT reduce bank charges as you are still deemed non-resident.

It's not until you have your residency certificate (or TIE for non-EU) that you can reduced bank charges.

I would suggest that @Gerrie19 look at getting the residency certificate instead (it comes with an NIE). You don't say what your circumstances are; if a state pensioner than an S1 from DWP is the way to go. If an early retiree, then you will need proof of income/savings and private health cover. If you plan to work here, then a legal contract or being a registered autonomo will suffice.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Gerrie.

As Snikpoh says, if you are going to live in the rented property and not just use it as an occasional holiday base, then by moving here you are required to register on the EU Citizens Register, immediately. Doing that will provide you with your NIE, which as a resident you cannot request separately.

To register (as long as you are both EU nationals) you need to prove you have full health cover (SI from DWP if you are each eligible) and at least 623.73 euros p.m. income i.e. minimum income for two people. That may be 366.90 each if your 'partnership' is not accepted as a couple.

You will need your valid passports and a copy, an application form EX 18 and a copy, and the bank payment form (in duplicate) showing that the fees, about 10.60 € each, have been paid (at any bank). The forms are downloadable from the internet.

I believe the extranjería (foreigner’s paperwork office) for Benalmadena is at Torremolinos (not at the Policía Nacional comisaria in Arroyo).

Good luck.

(PS Be aware that will make you tax resident in Spain, potentially for all your income and assets worldwide)

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Gerrie.

As Snikpoh says, if you are going to live in the rented property and not just use it as an occasional holiday base, then by moving here you are required to register on the EU Citizens Register, immediately. Doing that will provide you with your NIE, which as a resident you cannot request separately.

To register (as long as you are both EU nationals) you need to prove you have full health cover (SI from DWP if you are each eligible) and at least 623.73 euros p.m. income i.e. minimum income for two people. That may be 366.90 each if your 'partnership' is not accepted as a couple.

You will need your valid passports and a copy, an application form EX 18 and a copy, and the bank payment form (in duplicate) showing that the fees, about 10.60 € each, have been paid (at any bank). The forms are downloadable from the internet.

I believe the extranjería (foreigner’s paperwork office) for Benalmadena is at Torremolinos (not at the Policía Nacional comisaria in Arroyo).

Good luck.

(PS Be aware that will make you tax resident in Spain, potentially for all your income and assets worldwide)

Not quite correct.

To be tax resident requires that your main residence (centre of economic interest etc.) is here in Spain or that you are here for more than 183 days per year. It is NOTHING to do with having signed on the foreigners list.

It is quite possible to be a resident ('domiciled') here and yet NOT be tax resident.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not quite correct.

To be tax resident requires that your main residence (centre of economic interest etc.) is here in Spain or that you are here for more than 183 days per year. It is NOTHING to do with having signed on the foreigners list.

It is quite possible to be a resident ('domiciled') here and yet NOT be tax resident.
I was taking the view that as Gerrie said they are renting for a year, they were moving, in all necessary respects for tax liability, to Spain.

If I was wrong. and he will not be spending a total of 183 days here in that year, then I agree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

our plan is to spend the year in Spain with the occasional ventures elsewhere, so I guess that makes us a resident, if only for a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts