Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an NIE number's obtained in late 2012 on an A4 white sheet of paper. We had to come back to the UK but will be heading back to Spain soon. Has the NIE changed by that I mean do we need to reapply or has it changed to a card carrying NIE rather than the A4 size.

·
Administrator
36,527 Posts
We have an NIE number's obtained in late 2012 on an A4 white sheet of paper. We had to come back to the UK but will be heading back to Spain soon. Has the NIE changed by that I mean do we need to reapply or has it changed to a card carrying NIE rather than the A4 size.
If you're moving back then you'll need to register as resident. Take a look at the first post here : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/2725-faqs-lots-useful-info.html
You can download the form you need (EX18) & you'll be able to find your nearest extranjería there too. Just put your NIE on that form when you complete it.

You'll have to prove that you can support yourselves financially & that you have healthcare provision.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
What you have is only valid as a certificate for 3 months. The number is still yours and if you are now resident you need to register as a resident but quote your NIE rather than your passport number on the form. If you are still non-resident, then you can obtain another non resident NIE certificate and, again, quote your NIE rather than your passport number on the form.

·
Administrator
36,527 Posts
Thanks for that i thought i had read somewhere that it is now a different coour and on a card
The NIE cert is still white A4. This is available to anyone who needs one, resident or not.

What you will get when you register is a greenish coloured flimsy card which will alos have your NIE on it.

·
Administrator
36,527 Posts
What you have is only valid as a certificate for 3 months. The number is still yours and if you are now resident you need to register as a resident but quote your NIE rather than your passport number on the form. If you are still non-resident, then you can obtain another non resident NIE certificate and, again, quote your NIE rather than your passport number on the form.
If they were issued the NIE cert before about 2014, (can't remember exactly when ) then it won't be an expiring one.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
... there's also no such thing as a non-resident NIE certificate.

The NIE certificate is for both residents and non-residents.

Yes, as a resident you must have the green residency certificate but this doesn't invalidate the white NIE certificate.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
... there's also no such thing as a non-resident NIE certificate.

The NIE certificate is for both residents and non-residents.

Yes, as a resident you must have the green residency certificate but this doesn't invalidate the white NIE certificate.
Split any other hairs, recently? I was merely trying to distinguish between what one gets as a non-resident and is only valid for three month and is white, versus the green resident's NIE document with or without the push-out card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts