Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I'm moving to Spain in three weeks and will work there as an autonomo starting the 2nd of October.. I have booked an appointment to get my NIE however it's in the middle of October. I read that I also have to book an appointment with Hacienda in order to register as an autonomo, do you know if that will take as long as the NIE appointment?
Also, can I start the process of registering as an autonomo with a temporary NIE?

Thank you very much!

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
Hello everyone!
I'm moving to Spain in three weeks and will work there as an autonomo starting the 2nd of October.. I have booked an appointment to get my NIE however it's in the middle of October. I read that I also have to book an appointment with Hacienda in order to register as an autonomo, do you know if that will take as long as the NIE appointment?
Also, can I start the process of registering as an autonomo with a temporary NIE?

Thank you very much!
:welcome:

I don't know how long it takes to get an appt at Hacienda - it will depend which office - some have a walk-in facility.

Once you have your NIE, it's for life. There's no such thing as a temporary NIE, so once you have it, you can register as autónomo, & then after that, as resident.

It might be worth contacting a gestor. A good one can register you as autónomo on the spot from their office, by doing it online.

It can't be backdated though, so you can't work nor issue invoices until you are registered.

Looks like you'll be having a little holiday before you can take on any clients :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you xabiachica!

I phrased that wrong; it's the certificate of the NIE that has an expiry date as I read in another thread. So could I use that to register as autonomo?
Also I read that I can get the temp NIE certificate with no appointment; could I get that the first day I move to Spain, then get the actual card on the day of my appointment?

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
The NIE doesn't come on a card, that's the resident registration.

Your NIE is your NIE. It's for life, no matter what it's printed on. There's no such thing as a temporary NIE.

The 'expiring certs' were for 5 years, anyway, & I understand that they are no longer issued.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, ok. I read about the temp NIE and got a bit confused.
Thank you very much for the info! I'm looking forward to moving to Spain (and tackle its bureaucracy!)

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
:welcome:

I don't know how long it takes to get an appt at Hacienda - it will depend which office - some have a walk-in facility.

Once you have your NIE, it's for life. There's no such thing as a temporary NIE, so once you have it, you can register as autónomo, & then after that, as resident.

It might be worth contacting a gestor. A good one can register you as autónomo on the spot from their office, by doing it online.

It can't be backdated though, so you can't work nor issue invoices until you are registered.

Looks like you'll be having a little holiday before you can take on any clients :)
And social security? Do you have to go there as well?
Save

·
Registered
871 Posts
Christina. Take a look at thread "NIE Sign-up Problems; Self-Employed" as you will be in the same situation.

PS NIE Certs were for a short time issued with a 3 month expiry date. On 7th March 2016 an instruction altering that was issued by the Ministry of the Interior, and they reverted to lasting for ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts