Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya!

so, I decided to go through the border with no EEA family permit. Got 'detained' and waited for an hour just for someone to come talk to me. By that time nobody was at the border control except my husband and I, and now the interviewer or whatever. He was perfectly lovely. Found out I was married, which nobody told him before that I guess. He asked for our marriage certificate which wasn't translated (I was going to go through under VWP, not 'married to EU citizen') and found where our names were and said 'good enough'. He gave me a code 1A stamp.

It says 'leave to enter UK is hereby given for 6 months.' Then it has his reference number stamped underneath.

Called the NI number place today and they gave me quite a hassle. kept telling me I need a visa, i need a visa, i need a visa. But they said they'll give me an interview but i should expect to be denied since i have no visa.

what should i do? i mean, i sort of expect being denied since my marriage certificate isn't translated. But i'll try anyway.
I am sort of just requesting some legal pages that say as the wife of a eea national member, I can work in the UK even without a 'visahh'.

All I can bring is our newspaper with our names in it, my residence permit in my husband's country (which is part of the EU), my husband, his passport/ID card, our non translated marriage certificate, proof of address, and my code 1a passport stamp.

can anybody give me any links to the rules or whatever that say as wife of a EEA national, i have the right to live and work freely, even without the family permit?
because the lady on the phone never heard of that before so im thinking maybe i should bring it.

if not, my husband has a job already so i guess i'll have to wait till he gets a payment stub so i can apply for the residence card or whatever?

thank you!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm sure someone will be by shortly with the link you're looking for on your rights as the spouse of an EU national, but may I suggest that you get your marriage certificate translated now that you're in the UK - especially if you are assuming that not having it translated will be an issue?

You should have little problem tracking down a Greek>English translator - a quick Google search turns up a number of translation agencies that could handle the language pair.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you ! to be honest, with just moving to England, I completely forgot about needing to translate our marriage cert. ! it just occurred to me today how we haven't got it translated yet.

thanks!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
With so many abuses of EU regulations, it's not surprising that DWP is insisting on concrete proof like visa or EEA permit/residence card before issuing your NI number. Code 1A stamp, which says nothing about your rights as family member of EEA citizen, is hardly likely to be sufficient. I suggest therefore you apply for residence card as soon as your EEA partner starts working and getting paid. While it may take up to 6 months to get your card, you should get certificate of application that states you are allowed to work much sooner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.