Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster here! A friend whose application went smoothly and was accepted recommended this site to us and we have used it extensively in our document gathering so far.

We are doing our fiancé visa application in four weeks and are getting our last things organised, the introduction of the NHS surcharge has thrown us a bit.

From what we understand, the NHS surcharge does NOT apply for fiancé visa (but will for FLR(M)), however you DO need to have a reference number for your application even if you don't need to pay it - the gov website states:

"You’ll be sent an email with an IHS reference number. This will also be shown on screen when you’ve paid. You’ll need to write this on the cover of your visa application if you’re applying online from outside the UK, the cover sheet if applying online from inside the UK or on the application form if applying by post. You need this reference even if you’re exempt from paying the healthcare surcharge."

Please can someone clarify what is mean by cover sheet and also if there is a place specified or if we simply write it on?

Also, we have tried the "calculate how much you will pay" without actually going through and registering, the option list didn't have fiancé visa, when we do this should we be selecting settlement or is there an option for fiancé on the actual registration?

Finally, how far in advance can we do this process, we are now inside the 28 days so is it ok to go ahead and do or should it be done on the same day as the online application? Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in addition - there is no reference number generated without payment, so how you are supposed to get it when you are exempt is confusing me. Has anyone applied for fiancé visa in the last month with the reference number at all?!

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
Just in addition - there is no reference number generated without payment, so how you are supposed to get it when you are exempt is confusing me. Has anyone applied for fiancé visa in the last month with the reference number at all?!
Exemption means special cases like Australians and NZers who are exempt because of reciprocal agreement. Not to those who don't need to pay because of the type of visa you are applying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exemption means special cases like Australians and NZers who are exempt because of reciprocal agreement. Not to those who don't need to pay because of the type of visa you are applying.
Thank you for responding. So we don't need a reference and can leave it blank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no "fiance visa" option on IHS portal. Just as I had to, you must pay £600 for settlement visa.
When you marry, this becomes spousal visa. For which, you will already be prepaid. To submit your visa application, you MUST have an IHS number, or your application WILL be rejected.

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
You are wrong.
There are two separate applications. One is as fiancé(e), for which no IHS is payable (and no need to go to IHS site to generate the reference number), and another for leave to remain within UK, for which IHS is required at £500.
So check your facts before posting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
Did you apply fiancee visa? Did you get? Was it necessary reference number IHS ? I applied on 05/07/2015 and I did not need.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Kenel. Yes, the visa was approved on July 2nd. No IHS payment was made as I trust the experience and opinion of the experienced posters and mods. Payment will be made for the FLR(M) application when then surcharge does apply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.