Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for asking something that might already be covered but I wasn't able to find anything that specifically answers my questions....

I have a Settlement (spouse) visa which was granted prior to the new NHS surcharge rules and recently went to register with my local GP. The receptionist looked at my visa and said that since it says 'no recourse to public funds' I am not entitled to NHS care. I thought I have read on this forum that with my visa and proof of UK address, I should have access to primary care and have found the gov document that states that NHS treatment is not considered public funds.

So basically I have two questions I hope someone can help me with...

1) what is covered under 'primary care' and what is not (ie: can I register with a GP and see them free of charge?)
2) what should I take to my local GP to show that I am entitled to be registered?

Just to be clear, I don't mind if I have to pay for GP services if that is not part of the deal with my visa (as it does seem awfully extravagant to give a newcomer free health care right off the bat) but just want to be clear on what the situation truly is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You are quite correct in saying you can get NHS care. Your passport and proof of address (some don't even ask for that) should be enough..

NHS is not considered a public fund

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
You are correct that the NHS is not a public fund. Yes, you can register with a GP free of charge. You do not have to pay to use the NHS. You are entitled to all NHS services. (Although when you renew your visa you will have to pay the NHS Surcharge.) Your passport and a letter addressed to you should be all you need to register. Perhaps print out the page which says that the NHS is not a public fund.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great - thanks for the quick responses. I will try take the document that states that NHS is not a public fund and keep my fingers crossed the receptionist accepts it :)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If you have trouble with receptionist, ask to speak to the practice manager, and local primary care trust if necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.