Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My then fiancé got his first visa back in April 2014 a fiancé visa valid for 6 months. We got married in the July and applied for the next visa straight away, this visa is valid until 18th March 2017. I know it's still a long while away but I want to start planning now. When is the earliest we can apply for the next leave to remain visa. What documents and evidence will we need. Currently we are still living with my parents so have no bills in our names, what can we provide to show we are living together can my mum write a letter again like she did for the first visa. Also I did not change my surname is this going to be a problem I'm quite well known in my area and firth want to change it although I'm now thinking this could cause problems.

On another note my husband passed his driving test yesterday but when I originally rang up about driving insurance they said they only insure non residents for 3 months in the year he has already used this when learning to drive so what can he do now surely there are loads of non residents in this country who can legally drive.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My then fiancé got his first visa back in April 2014 a fiancé visa valid for 6 months. We got married in the July and applied for the next visa straight away, this visa is valid until 18th March 2017. I know it's still a long while away but I want to start planning now. When is the earliest we can apply for the next leave to remain visa. What documents and evidence will we need. Currently we are still living with my parents so have no bills in our names, what can we provide to show we are living together can my mum write a letter again like she did for the first visa. Also I did not change my surname is this going to be a problem I'm quite well known in my area and firth want to change it although I'm now thinking this could cause problems.

On another note my husband passed his driving test yesterday but when I originally rang up about driving insurance they said they only insure non residents for 3 months in the year he has already used this when learning to drive so what can he do now surely there are loads of non residents in this country who can legally drive.
Do you have a joint bank account? If not, get one. That would be a great example of proof. Make sure you're both listed on your parents' council tax bill for the property. Save letters from doctors' regarding appointments. I'm not sure if mobile phone contract bills would work or not. If you're going to be with your parents long-term, it might be worth seeing if you can get one or two of the utilities transferred to your names. (I'm sure they'd appreciate the help paying the bills, too.) And I'm thinking payslips might be able to be used, but I can't remember for certain. You can manage proof addressed to you individually, but they do require a lot more. And I would expect that you'd need at least one joint document just to prove you're more than roommates.

As for the car insurance, you'll just have to contact other companies. You'll eventually find one that will offer cover, but his rates will probably be fairly high (since he'll be viewed as a new driver).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.