Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I've been in Spain now for three months and so far I have

A job (autónomo based)
An NIE and ss number
On the padrón
Renting an apt
Bank account

When I first stated doing this I was told that residency would be the next logical step (even though I could have done it at the same time).

Can anyone tell me what this entails and how to go about it please, what are the advantages, what are the drawbacks?

·
Registered
19,467 Posts
It varies from area to area. Best to see an abogado in your area to see what that province's requirements are that day. It appears to change on a regular basis.
I wouldn't agree on seeing a laywer (abogado). Laywers don't usually deal with EU registration. You might want to see a gestor (something that doesn't really have a translation!)
Or you could just go to the local police station that has a department for foreigners. As you haven't put your location I can't give you a link to your area. but here is a link to all the offices in Spain.
Extranjería en las Delegaciones del Gobierno:: Secretaría de Estado para las Administraciones Territoriales ::
There is more info in the FAQ sticky and also a link to the form you have to fill in.
You ask about the advantages and disadvantages, but they don't really come into play. At the moment it's a legal requirement:). After Brexit, who knows what will happen?
Save

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey guys

I've been in Spain now for three months and so far I have

A job (autónomo based)
An NIE and ss number
On the padrón
Renting an apt
Bank account

When I first stated doing this I was told that residency would be the next logical step (even though I could have done it at the same time).

Can anyone tell me what this entails and how to go about it please, what are the advantages, what are the drawbacks?
It isn't a question of advantages/disadvantages. It's a mandatory requirement.

All EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months are required to register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. You will be issued a credit card size Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjero) and date of registration.

Some folk on here will tell you that it is easy enough to yourself. Alternatively, use the services of a professional.

The choice is yours.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
You don't need a lawyer but if you don't speak Spanish I would suggest getting a Gestor or at least someone who can translate. These offices don't usually require their staff to speak English and as the forms are in Spainish you will have to have some reasonable spanish to do it. Having said that if you have a contract and EU passport it shouldn't be a problem other than possibly having to wait around a bit

·
Registered
427 Posts
You don't need a lawyer but if you don't speak Spanish I would suggest getting a Gestor or at least someone who can translate. These offices don't usually require their staff to speak English and as the forms are in Spainish you will have to have some reasonable spanish to do it. Having said that if you have a contract and EU passport it shouldn't be a problem other than possibly having to wait around a bit

I have always found it bizarre, to put it mildly, that a government dept that deals with the registration and documentantion of immigrants does not have a number - even one would help! - of staff who speak the world's most widely used language.

Apart from those coming from Latin America, English would be useful to many, especially those from Europe who speak excellent English - Dutch, Scandinavians...

It doesn't have to go as far as the drop-in centre in Eastville, Bristol, where there was a sign reading "English Also Spoken" ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.