Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The immigration website states
" The last date on which a selection of Expressions of Interest (EOIs) will occur from the current Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) pool is 19 July 2017."
Is it usually a yearly thing? or does it open every couple months? Should I wait till they start selecting again before I start applying for jobs for SMC visa?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Nope.
EOI selections are usually every fortnight - every other Wednesday I think, however the process has been put on hold with the last selection today as new EOI calculation rules are being implemented and will take effect 14th August 2017 so there will be no EOI selections until that week....assuming Immigration get it right and it all works.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nope.
EOI selections are usually every fortnight - every other Wednesday I think, however the process has been put on hold with the last selection today as new EOI calculation rules are being implemented and will take effect 14th August 2017 so there will be no EOI selections until that week....assuming Immigration get it right and it all works.
Can you please highlight the chances to the calculation rules?

I can't find a clear answer in INZ website.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Can you please highlight the chances to the calculation rules?

I can't find a clear answer in INZ website.
Not yet. I don't think the full changes have been published. You'll find a couple of links in one of the sticky threads in the Immigration Sharing Ideas area of the New Zealand forum but it isn't specific. It just tells you where more points will be gained and where other points will be lost.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not yet. I don't think the full changes have been published. You'll find a couple of links in one of the sticky threads in the Immigration Sharing Ideas area of the New Zealand forum but it isn't specific. It just tells you where more points will be gained and where other points will be lost.
Well , from what I understood they are now giving more points to Level 9 qualifications and foreign experience ,so that will improve my chances and many others offshore who can't secure job offers.

If only the EOI didn't cost that much for only six months , but I guess the automated selection for anyone above 160 points pays off :D:D

Regards,,,

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Well , from what I understood they are now giving more points to Level 9 qualifications and foreign experience ,so that will improve my chances and many others offshore who can't secure job offers.

If only the EOI didn't cost that much for only six months , but I guess the automated selection for anyone above 160 points pays off :D:D

Regards,,,
The proposed changes do mention that more points would be on offer for some Post Grad study qualifications and as for the other amendment details, the info is very vague with no specific instructions.

You shouldn't be looking at the EOI costs and thinking it is that cost for 6 months......you shouldn't be submitting EOI if you are unable to make the minimum 160 points threshold. That would be a complete waste of time and money as Immigration will not select any EOI's below 160 points. Meeting the automatic selection criteria (minimum 160 points) is the only way an EOI is going to be selected.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The proposed changes do mention that more points would be on offer for some Post Grad study qualifications and as for the other amendment details, the info is very vague with no specific instructions.

You shouldn't be looking at the EOI costs and thinking it is that cost for 6 months......you shouldn't be submitting EOI if you are unable to make the minimum 160 points threshold. That would be a complete waste of time and money as Immigration will not select any EOI's below 160 points. Meeting the automatic selection criteria (minimum 160 points) is the only way an EOI is going to be selected.
I did start my EOI application and got my PAR few weeks ago but won't submit until the proposed changes goes into effective on the 14th August as mentioned on INZ website.

Hopefully I can go up from 100 to 160 or higher and then I shall submit my EOI application.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts