Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

First post in the forum for me. I've read numerous posts in this forum and I must say, the support on offer is astranomical.

Okay first thing's first.

My name is Scott, nice to meet you all.

Me and my partner are looking at moving over from Britain.

I am currently in University studying Computing note, currently whereas my partner is already qualified in childcare

After first exploring the option, my impression was as follows:

Okay, lets get a 12 month working Visa, establish a relationship with an employer and potentially get sponsored. I thought this was a great idea as the odds of us both getting into employment and atleast one of us making a good impression would give us a greater chance of being sponsored.

We already know a couple who have done a similar thing but the similarities end there. One of them were sponsored before going over so their knowledge on the situation is very limited compared to some of the things I have read here.

Our target is to be over in three months time April 2010

I would like any and all advise you guys have to offer.

Is it worth getting the 12 month working holiday Visa and establishing a good solid relationship with an employer or is it worth seeking sponsorship beforehand.

Is it more worth my partner doing the backbone work as she is already qualified and then I come over with my partner?

I've read so much information and I seem to find out different things from different websites which contradict eachother.

My skills are in the following fields

-IT Networking, Web development, PHP, MySQL, HTML, VB
-Bar Bar supervisor
-Sales Account Manager
-Food Commis Chef

Whereas my partners qualifications are in childcare.

I appreciate any and all advise.

Thank you very much in advance.

Scott.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

If you go down the WHV route you and your partner will have to apply separately (you cannot have a dependent on that visa).

Here is the link for that visa's obligations etc: Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

You can apply for an extension of another year. Bear in mind that you will only be able to work for one company every 6 months, then you have to find another employer.

Is your partner's job on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)? http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf . I know there are some childcare occupations on there but not many.

Have you looked through all the stickies at the top of the forum page?

I know some choose the WHV route and then try to find sponsorship once there. Sponsorship can be very difficult to get, but it would be easier if you were already over here. I know it would take a lot longer but if you applied for the 175 Skilled Independent visa you would get PR straight away, with all the benefits that that would give you. Otherwise you'll be on a WHV, then on a sponsored visa to then apply for PR.

So, before you consider the WHV just make sure that your partner would qualify to apply for a visa in her own right. As you are still at Uni, you won't have the work experience that would be required (check those stickies for info).

Any more questions, just ask away.

Dolly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply, Dolly.

Our concern is me really. I am not qualified. I am experienced in various areas but as you know experience does not come over qualifications.

If we both apply for a working holiday visa, one of us gets sponsored would we both be eligible?

Also if my partner were to get a 175 would I be included?

Those two are the main questions I cannot get answered anywhere.

Thanks again for your help,

Scott.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Scott,

Even if you were to go for company sponsorship I think you would still need to prove work experience. Check out "No. 3 Eligibility" on this thread Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) Hopefully someone can clarify. So, if either of you managed to get sponsorship, the other would be added to the application as a spouse (if you are in a de facto relationship you would need to prove that you have lived together for the past 12 months prior to submitting the application).

Dolly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's shed some light on it.

No, we haven't been together over 12 months but are considering marriage.

Out of curiousity, would being married in Australia help the 175 application process in any way?

Also if me and my partner were already man and wife would the spouse of the opposit partner gain citizenship with the spouse's application?

Sorry to ask so much but this is all information that is not easily found on any website.

Thanks again Dolly, I cannot reiterate how much this is helping.

Scott.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
No, being married or in a de facto will bear no relation in helping getting a visa.

Now when you say 'citizenship' do you mean citizenship or PR (Permanent Residence). They are 2 completely different things. Once you have PR you can't become a 'citizen' until you have lived here for a minimum of 4 years. It won't matter if you are married or de facto in either the PR or citizenship processes.

Dolly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, being married or in a de facto will bear no relation in helping getting a visa.

Now when you say 'citizenship' do you mean citizenship or PR (Permanent Residence). They are 2 completely different things. Once you have PR you can't become a 'citizen' until you have lived here for a minimum of 4 years. It won't matter if you are married or de facto in either the PR or citizenship processes.

Dolly
Wow okay so now I have some new info, PR & Citizenship are different.

We aren't too bothered about having an Australian passport, but living in Australia on a permenant basis is a priority.

If it means coming over for 12 months and extending for a second WHV and then looking at sponsorship for 2-4 years before applying to become permenant residents then we will do that.

The only problem I see is that I do not have a qualified trade. I have experience but not 2 years in any one sector. I am confident of finding a job and building a very good relationship with an employer though, I should point that out. I am a hard worker and an asset to anyone I work with.

Anyway I really am going to bed now, as you know the time now is 03:55 so I'm feeling sleepy and feel like my eyes are going square with research lol!

Thank you for all your help so far and I'll read any messages as soon as I get up.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts