Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I thought that having just registered in the forum that I would give a wee introduction and possibly an explanation as to why I'm here....

I plan to emigrate to Australia as soon as possible with my wife and son (who's only 9 months old). I have a BEng (Hons) in Building Services Engineering and work for a large engineering design consultancy in the UK - been involved in various aspects of engineering for 15 years or so. Sadly Building Services Engineering is not on the skills shortage list but upon looking into the classification for Mechanical Engineer I thought 'Hey, that's me!' and Engineers Australia agreed when I spoke with them.

Next on the agenda is to get my CEng status here in the UK - possibly Feb/Mar 2010 - and have my skills assessed by Engineers Australia. Then apply for the independent skilled visa. Having said that, if I can get sponsorship beforehand then we're off at the drop of a hat.

Why did I think of Australia? I was offered a job in Melbourne earlier this year but due to the recession the company weren't able to commit to sponsorship. Since then we've had the bug and are now planning a wee reccie mission to Perth WA early 2010 for about 3 weeks.

Hoping to get some good advice on this forum because some of the threads look really interesting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also new here so this thread might be a good one for me to say "Hello" :wave:

My mother, sister and brother-in-law have been in Perth for 10+ years and last year my girlfriend and I decided we really must get out there.
As part of our preparations we've come across this forum and I'm hoping to get lots of useful info from here, and perhaps share some of our experiences if they're useful to anyone.
Here's where we're at with our applications:
Points-wise we're OK (with my family and my girlfriend's points as an Architect).
We went to an Expo in Leeds and spoke to a nice lady from the WA gov (Perth is the only place we want to go) who said the best thing for us was to apply for State Sponsorship with WA. We're currently awaiting the outcome of that, although we have just responded to their query suggesting the amount of funds we'd suggested we'd be taking wasn't sufficient - so it's in process at least. Fingers crossed that comes through and then we can go for the main visa!

Any hints/tips on the rest of the process gratefully received!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Welcome to you both DeMontfort and Hotphil.

If you haven't been through the sticky posts take a look since they contain a lot of info, and of course if you have any questions ask away and hopefully one of us on here will be able to help.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi

welcome to the forum. Karen has already suggested looking at the sticky threads :)

if u are stuck anyway, give us a shout

good luck
cheers
anj

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm also new here so this thread might be a good one for me to say "Hello" :wave:

Points-wise we're OK (with my family and my girlfriend's points as an Architect).
We went to an Expo in Leeds and spoke to a nice lady from the WA gov (Perth is the only place we want to go) who said the best thing for us was to apply for State Sponsorship with WA. We're currently awaiting the outcome of that, although we have just responded to their query suggesting the amount of funds we'd suggested we'd be taking wasn't sufficient - so it's in process at least. Fingers crossed that comes through and then we can go for the main visa!

Any hints/tips on the rest of the process gratefully received!
Hey Hotphil, how has the process been with state sponsorship? Like you guys, I was advised to look into that but didn't really give it further though. Instead we've opted to look into the independant visa application, but it would still be good to hear your thoughts on the state sponsorship approach.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We'd heard of getting state sponsorship but it was only when speaking to the WA representative it became clear we needed to do it. We'll be applying as skilled migrant for my girlfriend as main applicant with me as partner. She's a fully qualified Architect, I've been in IT for many years but don't have the formal qualifications required to get recognised by the Australian computing body. Anyway, the WA rep said our visa application would be rejected without state sponsorship.
It's free to apply for WA state sponsorship (which surprised us - everything else in the process seems to command a heavy fee!) and you can do it online. It was a bit of an odd application - many of the questions are "closed" seemingly needing only a yes or no answer, but with instructions (IIRC) requesting the answer be less than 200 words. We spent hours and hours drafting and re-drafting our answers before clicking the submit button. It's taken 4 months to get an indication that it's in process. Fingers crossed, we'll get that and it'll help with the main visa application.
Obviously there's conditions attached to the state sponsorship around where you can reside should the visa application be successful. But for us that's not a problem as we only want to be in Perth.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info and good luck with the application - I'll give this some consideration and discuss with my wife later this evening and who knows, mayeb I will look into it more.

All the very best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts