Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, :wave: I wonder if you guys could advise me. My partner (due to be my husband next year) is over retirement age and I am under. He receives a UK state pension and 2 small private pensions. We are thinking of moving to Spain next year and I wonder where we stand regarding healthcare as I understand the rules have somewhat changed. Would my partner receive state healthcare for the first 2 years and would indeed private healthcare? Any advice on good private healthcare companies or can I pay into the state system? If so, anyone know how much that is?

I also wonder how the declaration of assets work. We will have in total through a couple of bonds, ISA's and some savings just shy of £100k but no house as we are selling (the equity is part of the £100k). What would we have to declare and what tax would we have to pay? I know Ian asking a lot but its so daunting. We are going to go over for 3 months initially as I am taking a career break from work which entitles me to return to work at the end of the break, as we want to make sure we really want to go.then we would move out when we are all sorted. Useful advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

·
Administrator
36,538 Posts
Hello, :wave: I wonder if you guys could advise me. My partner (due to be my husband next year) is over retirement age and I am under. He receives a UK state pension and 2 small private pensions. We are thinking of moving to Spain next year and I wonder where we stand regarding healthcare as I understand the rules have somewhat changed. Would my partner receive state healthcare for the first 2 years and would indeed private healthcare? Any advice on good private healthcare companies or can I pay into the state system? If so, anyone know how much that is?

I also wonder how the declaration of assets work. We will have in total through a couple of bonds, ISA's and some savings just shy of £100k but no house as we are selling (the equity is part of the £100k). What would we have to declare and what tax would we have to pay? I know Ian asking a lot but its so daunting. We are going to go over for 3 months initially as I am taking a career break from work which entitles me to return to work at the end of the break, as we want to make sure we really want to go.then we would move out when we are all sorted. Useful advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

if your husband gets a state pension then he'll still be covered for healthcare here - forever (unless the rules change again :rolleyes:) & as long as you are married before you arrive so will you be as his dependant

if you don't marry before you come you will need private healthcare until you ARE married, if you come after the end of March

however - if you're only coming for 3 months initially you'll be covered for that time by your EHICs - though travel health insurance is also recommended by the consulate

as for the declaration of assets - here's a loooooooooooong discussion about it http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...on-overseas-assets-spanish-tax-authority.html

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Please also make sure you read about, Capital Gains tax on the sale of your UK property so you can time your move to avoid having to pay this in Spain.

We are moving over in Feb/March happy to share any information with you.

best wishes

C
x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, we will make roughly £60k on the house....not a lot really. Would we have to pay capital gains? Thanks

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Hi, we will make roughly £60k on the house....not a lot really. Would we have to pay capital gains? Thanks
it depends on when you move and when you sell. I can only give you our example.

We are about to sell exhange contracts iminent:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

We complete Next month:fingerscrossed:

Therefore we sell in 2013. Not an issue if we move 2014

If we sold in say Feb 2014 and move before July 2nd 2014, then yes we would be classed as tax residents for the whole of 2014 and would therefore have to declare the profit made from the sale of the house, I am unsure of what allowances are made in Spain on CGT as we were always going to avoid, however we will probably end up paying Tax on my lump sum from my NHS Pension, although we are seriously giving some thoughts to travelling to Portugal and then into Spain but that is all at the what if stage!!

Clear as mud, there are others on this forum far more knowledgeable than I on matters of Tax, I can only tell you how it affects us
x

·
Registered
765 Posts
it depends on when you move and when you sell. I can only give you our example. We are about to sell exhange contracts iminent:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: We complete Next month:fingerscrossed: Therefore we sell in 2013. Not an issue if we move 2014 If we sold in say Feb 2014 and move before July 2nd 2014, then yes we would be classed as tax residents for the whole of 2014 and would therefore have to declare the profit made from the sale of the house, I am unsure of what allowances are made in Spain on CGT as we were always going to avoid,
Couple of points. What Cambio has posted is correct, however, if you used that £60,000 to buy a house to live in, within 2 years of the sale, then capital gains would be avoided. The only allowances are you can offset selling costs etc, and there is a multiplier to apply to the original purchase price, effectively an inflation factor.

however we will probably end up paying Tax on my lump sum from my NHS Pension, although we are seriously giving some thoughts to travelling to Portugal and then into Spain but that is all at the what if stage!! Clear as mud, there are others on this forum far more knowledgeable than I on matters of Tax, I can only tell you how it affects us x
Cambio, I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but I don't recall. On the basis of your comment, presumably, your NHS pension is not classed as a government pension.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Couple of points. What Cambio has posted is correct, however, if you used that £60,000 to buy a house to live in, within 2 years of the sale, then capital gains would be avoided. The only allowances are you can offset selling costs etc, and there is a multiplier to apply to the original purchase price, effectively an inflation factor.

Cambio, I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but I don't recall. On the basis of your comment, presumably, your NHS pension is not classed as a government pension.
No my NHS pension is not a government, i think teachers / army/ fireman and basically every other Public sector worker is deemed goverment but not NHS - i think!

·
Registered
915 Posts
No my NHS pension is not a government, i think teachers / army/ fireman and basically every other Public sector worker is deemed goverment but not NHS - i think!
Royal Mail differs on when you took your pension out. It used to be a civil service pension, but that changed in the late 60's or early 70's.

That may include other Post Office workers.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think some are, if they're paid by a local authority, but if they from the Paymaster General or Capita, they're not. I guess its to do with the way the pensions are managed.Shame

1 - 9 of 9 Posts