Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to thank all for the advice which helped a lot ! Good advice will save you a lot of grief and money !

I'm single,59 from Canada and was in the Phils from March to April 2015. I accomplished (with your advice) to open a bank account without the immigrant card and returned to arrange currency transfer directly from my Canadian bank to my Philippine bank (RCBC).

The cost was $22 Cdn for the wire transfer and 100 pesos for the deposit fee at the other end. The conversion rate was better than the banks rate. I have now set alerts so that when the rate is good I'll be advised by email. Historically January and Februsry give you the best rates.

I plan on returning in October and staying until March for my second time.

My question is Is it better to carry a bank transfer or do the wire transfer ?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It's best to keep the bulk of your money in your own country and only have in your Philippine account enough for your day to running.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's best to keep the bulk of your money in your own country and only have in your Philippine account enough for your day to running.
Considering the level of protection against loss from banks failing, this is some good advice. Considering also the current status of worldwide economy, I am beginning to wonder if one might be wise to withdraw and keep some money under the mattress. There is a short news article that a newly married Greek couple on their honeymoon in NewYork had their Credit Card refused because of the current situation in Greece. They are just trying to survive until friday for their scheduled flight back to Greece. Any foreign Country is NOT the place to be without readily accessible funds.

Fred

·
Registered
534 Posts
First I'd like to thank all for the advice which helped a lot ! Good advice will save you a lot of grief and money !

I'm single,59 from Canada and was in the Phils from March to April 2015. I accomplished (with your advice) to open a bank account without the immigrant card and returned to arrange currency transfer directly from my Canadian bank to my Philippine bank (RCBC).

The cost was $22 Cdn for the wire transfer and 100 pesos for the deposit fee at the other end. The conversion rate was better than the banks rate. I have now set alerts so that when the rate is good I'll be advised by email. Historically January and Februsry give you the best rates.

How did you open a Philippine bank account without an I-Card?

Tony

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How did you open a Philippine bank account without an I-Card?

Tony
It's possible although pot luck finding a bank that will. If a bank won't try another until you are lucky, even a different branch of the same bank can have different policies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried about five different banks. Eventually my 3rd last day before returning home I found a branch of a bank that did it .

I was glad it worked out ! I really didn't want to carry $2,000 around with me. I didn't want to leave it in my room. The other option was leaving it in someone else's ank account.

I hate ATM charges so transferring $$$ for day to day needs via wire transfer seemed the best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What I do is leave my money in U.S bank then I have a vpn service which connects me to U.S server ( San Francisco so when I transfer money it occurs instantly cause it appears I am still in that states. The best advice I got from this forum was to just write a check and put that in your Philippine account, it will take about three weeks to clear but that is the cheapest way to transfer money. You just have to plan for the three week wait ahead of time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely thats the best...if you have US $ account. Its very easy to transfer from the US to the Phils.

Unfortunately the Cdn $ I would lose money on the X-change to US $. Although I could set up a US $ account, for us Canadians we have a weak currency. I try to transfer at the best time when the X-change is good at the cheapest cost.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Adlan, here is what I do: while in Canada, I go to the nearest money remittance company that sends money only to the Philippines. They are usually Filipino companies. There are lots of them in Canada.
Google > money remittance philippines.
The fee, per transaction, ranges from C$ 6 to 10. They can transfer your money straight to your bank electronically, meaning it is instant transfer. Some has a 1 day transfer. They can tell you the many different ways to send money to PR (Philippine Republic) for a very reasonable fee. All OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers) send money through those companies. I do not use Western Union as their fees are much higher.
:welcome:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adlan, here is what I do: while in Canada, I go to the nearest money remittance company that sends money only to the Philippines. They are usually Filipino companies. There are lots of them in Canada.
Google > money remittance philippines.
The fee, per transaction, ranges from C$ 6 to 10. They can transfer your money straight to your bank electronically, meaning it is instant transfer. Some has a 1 day transfer. They can tell you the many different ways to send money to PR (Philippine Republic) for a very reasonable fee. All OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers) send money through those companies. I do not use Western Union as their fees are much higher.
:welcome:
Thanks its worth a try.....If I get a money transfer its free if mailed. The wire transfer was $22 for 1,000 in Cdn in pesos. I'll find out what the fee scale is.:plane:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Leave your money in your Canadian bank and carry a VISA/MASTERCARD ATM Debit Card with you. Usually your ATM card has a limit on amount taken out daily, but word to the wise, never carry large amounts of funds on you and never go out alone while in the Philippines, especially at night. You also might consider an ATN card, VISA/MASTERCARD, that gas no limits and you can keep up with all transactions online. This is great for large purchases, i.e., airline tickets. When you do a funds transfer, you could use this card. I had to transfer funds fast before my last and final return trip to the Philippines. I could deposit up to $950USD per day. I could also direct deposit funds into my wife's bank, cheaply and within 4 days time. Remember, too, that you do have a limit that you can have in a Filipino bank account.

Reactions: Nickleback99

·
Registered
1 Posts

I've been traveling to the Philippines since 2001 and I've always used my ATM card, but keep in mind to always use ATM at a bank, observe that there are no added additions to the ATM or around it. To be safe, use those ATM's in the daytime. Only use your card at stores that have cameras around the checkout, otherwise, go to the ATM first. Most banks there have security 24/7 and some don't. I just returned on May 22 and I'm looking forward to next May when I retire and will be moving there. I hope you enjoy all your visits there as I have.

·
Registered
29 Posts

which bank did you go to open your account without immigration card ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You will need to walk around and try a few as it's pot luck. Every day in the Philippines is a different day so where you were succesfull one day will be different the next.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I opened a USD account for BDO bank at a remittance center in Chicago at a uni-mart store.
we deposit money in are account here and withdraw it in dollars while in the Philippines.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I opened a USD account for BDO bank at a remittance center in Chicago at a uni-mart store.
we deposit money in are account here and withdraw it in dollars while in the Philippines.
How did you open the account in the Philippines, did you do it in Chicago at the same time as you opened the US account.

·
Registered
53 Posts

If you can get one month ahead on your budget, you can open a dollars account and write a check for deposit. It will be credited in 25 banking days and no fees are involved on either end. Ah, you are from Canada! I am not sure if that would work the same for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts