Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone on here and I'm sure everyone's reaction will be 'here we go again' but I'm sure that amongst all of the knowledgeable people on here someone will be able cast some light on the problems we will have along the way and thank you in advance to anyone who bothers to read beyond here.

We have finally half made the decision to move to France in the next 6/9months after 5 years of prevarication , for me it's about the more relaxed style of life that can be achieved in France and disillusionment with my country which seems to have become a mean and xenophobic place, but that is all very subjective and is only part of the decision.

One of our initial concerns is as always, can we pay our way, we would probably have enough money from my pensions to live on quite well, but my wife who is much younger and has recently retrained via university as a Counsllor/psychotherapist and is thinking that as a way of supplementing that income and to give her an outlet for her skills that she would run retreats at home using gites as accommodation for participant's, knowing that the French love regulations we thought that these should be billed as "finding yourself" type weeks.

Another option is to offer Counselling/therapy to the expat community, we are looking to locate in the Charente or northern part of the Dordogne,. Does anyone have any comments like about qualifications, or that'll never work or even, maybe, there is a real lack of anyone like that around.

Our other thought to supplement our income and avoid becoming winos just out of boredom is to buy somewhere with a couple of Gites, which I'm sure is very popular dodge and then people realise you have people and children in your space for 10 or more weeks of the year and you have to clean and do the laundry and deal with emergencies and get up early on change over day and keep the pool clean and so on and so on, BUT, how hard is it to make some money from them, is it worth the effort, I thought it might be possible to net, after outgoings and taxes about 5000 euros from a 1 or 2 bed decentish Gite, is that wildly optimistic.
Any thoughts would be warmly received, even if it's don't even think about it, it's a nightmare.

Well that is it for now, although I'm sure I'll be back on here with queries about health insurance and AE and tax as we really start to try it on for size and a big thank you to anyone who reads this far.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
my wife who is much younger and has recently retrained via university as a Counsllor/psychotherapist and is thinking that as a way of supplementing that income and to give her an outlet for her skills that she would run retreats at home using gites as accommodation for participant's, knowing that the French love regulations we thought that these should be billed as "finding yourself" type weeks.
Usual first question, which I'm sure you're anticipating: counselling is basically all about communication, listening and understanding and proposing solutions, so can we assume a priori that your OH's French is up to the job of helping lost French people to find themselves? Or is the idea to work exclusively with Brits?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usual first question, which I'm sure you're anticipating: counselling is basically all about communication, listening and understanding and proposing solutions, so can we assume a priori that your OH's French is up to the job of helping lost French people to find themselves? Or is the idea to work exclusively with Brits?
Unfortunately because you need to have the nuances of language to really counsel people we were thinking of the expat population, and we do recognise that limits her clientèle and that was why we were asking whether anybody had even an inkling as to whether they thought it might be a goer, we realise that some of this might be a matter of suck it and see, we would not be dependent on it for income but are really trying to explore whether anybody had heard of somebody already doing it or just any thoughts on it .

·
Administrator
51,383 Posts
One big consideration, if you'll be limited to the expat population, is that not all expats need or want the same sorts of services they know from "back home." A certain portion of the expat population actually avoids having "too much" to do with other expats.

Another caveat is that for the French (and thus probably for expats trying to "blend in") they basically rely on services available under the national health services (and thus reimbursable). And to do that, your wife would have to be certified/licensed under the French regulations. It's possible to do, but it can be a real hassle - and is yet another of those things that vary greatly from one prefecture to the next.

When you first mentioned "retreats" I was thinking in terms of artistic type things. There are a number of "artsy" residential programs in the south of France - for stuff like painting, writing, drawing - that are quite popular with expats or Brit tourists. I know it's not quite what you have in mind, but maybe there's some way to work with that idea.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm interested in counseling in France too and I've looked into it to an extent...I remember finding a resource of "English speaking therapists in France"....but it seemed like almost all of them were bilingual or multilingual, not just able to speak and provide therapy in English. I remember even emailing one who had her own private practice. I think she got a degree in the UK and was able to set up a practice in France. Her comment was something along the lines of "I was able to do that 10+ ago but I am not sure how easy it would be now."

I also had a private French teacher while in Paris and mentioned her my interest in counseling/France, and her automatic knee-jerk reaction was assuming I meant I must want to counsel English-speaking expats. So maybe there is an "audience" for that?

So I guess, the little I gathered....probably not impossible, but probably a very long haul to make it work and limited options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm interested in counseling in France too and I've looked into it to an extent...I remember finding a resource of "English speaking therapists in France"....but it seemed like almost all of them were bilingual or multilingual, not just able to speak and provide therapy in English. I remember even emailing one who had her own private practice. I think she got a degree in the UK and was able to set up a practice in France. Her comment was something along the lines of "I was able to do that 10+ ago but I am not sure how easy it would be now."

I also had a private French teacher while in Paris and mentioned her my interest in counseling/France, and her automatic knee-jerk reaction was assuming I meant I must want to counsel English-speaking expats. So maybe there is an "audience" for that?

So I guess, the little I gathered....probably not impossible, but probably a very long haul to make it work and limited options.
Thanks for those bits of info, as I said she is not looking to make a business out of it but was just casting around to find out if people had heard anybody expressing any interest in counselling for bereavement ,etc

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just a thought about location: how far do you think people might be willing to travel for counselling sessions? In the UK you've nearly always got a sizeable pool of potential clients within, say, a 30-minute drive; if you are thinking (correctly IMO) of working with anglophone clients (not necessarily British, obviously) then it's almost certain that they are going to be spread around quite a bit, meaning a longish drive to get to you (or for you to get to them, which would take a chunk out of the financial reward) and that could well be a real constraint on getting work.

Or maybe you could find a suitable premises to offer a one-day-a-week service in a nearby city? You travel to, say, Bordeaux and find clients there to fill up a day's work. A bit risky getting it off the ground, of course.

Perhaps you could offer a telephone or Skype service? The Samaritans do a phone service within the UK, perhaps there's scope for something similar in France ... The drawbacks are very obvious so I won't labour the point, but I think it might be worth thinking laterally.

Otherwise I would definitely think about widening the services you can offer: how about training as a hypnotherapist as an additional skill and offering 'quit smoking' courses, or boosting self-confidence?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
ToulouseRob, I think Skype is a good solution to what you're saying! I've seen therapists offer Skype sessions.

And disillusionedofIpswich, glad my little bits helped some. Another thing to consider is how licensure exchanges. It might be easier between UK and France then, say, America or Australia and France. But for example I know you need a license and masters to be considered a legit "psychologue" in France...I'm not sure there is such a thing as "counseling" as far as being licensed. Unless she doesn't mind that aspect either. As far as I know psychologue (and probably psychiatry) is the only thing that is actually regulated in France? I might have to re-check.

Sites like this might be a good starting point too: http://www.careersinpsychology.co.uk/working-psychologist-eu.html

So I guess my point, that should be investigated as well...to make sure she's using the proper title for herself to make sure it fits with the French system. A suggestion would be to email some current therapists right now who've gone a similar path.

This is the site I looked at. (Bev I hope it's okay to post the link? If not, just google "English speaking therapists in France" and click on the first Counselling in France site).

Counselling in France

Then, blitz some of these people with emails ;) Like, how did they do it, how did their licensure exchange, etc. You might get just one response for every four people emailed, but hey.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I can't edit my post anymore but, I was re-looking at that site Counselling in France. It might indeed be a good resource for your wife! And I was wrong in my other post. I do see that several people listed on here only speak/provide therapy in English. So, there's hope lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't edit my post anymore but, I was re-looking at that site Counselling in France. It might indeed be a good resource for your wife! And I was wrong in my other post. I do see that several people listed on here only speak/provide therapy in English. So, there's hope lol
Thanks for that encouragement, will definitely check that site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts