Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there we are a family with young kids moving to San Jose in California in early 2016 from New Zealand. We have a software start up business. I'm looking at Health insurance options. Is it better to set one up through our business to get better prices or to do it separately? I've heard of small businesses getting together and forming a collective to get better prices...how would we start the process for this?

Any help appreciated!

Thank you.
Kath

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
If you're forming a start-up in Silicon Valley, you'll probably be inundated with offers from various health insurance providers once you file the paperwork for the company. And, depending on the size of your start-up, you may or may not be required to provide health insurance for your employees anyhow under the Obamacare laws.

You will need, however, interim coverage to see you through to the set-up of your company. I would look to whatever legal and/or accounting advisers you're using for the start up to suggest alternatives.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
The U.S. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") set up new "SHOP" health insurance marketplaces for small businesses. More information is available from Healthcare.gov here. You can compare SHOP-provided coverage with individual coverage options through Healthcare.gov to see what makes the most sense for you, your dependents, and your prospective employees.

Competing software company employers in Silicon Valley almost always provide their employees with medical insurance, so chances are the exchange-based "SHOP" option will be the best one since you just won't be able to attract and retain employees otherwise. But that's an educated guess.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Out of curiosity: are you coming with an E2 visa, or were you able to arrange a green card? (or did you chose even another path?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts