Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new year

I read in gulfnews all new year partys are cancelled in support of gaza etc does this mean everything in dubai is cancelled?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't think the organiser of the one we're going to is cancelling.

Who comes up with these rumours? :confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i will pop a cork or two for yous all here in the UK.... I m sure you will sort something out.
Still amazes me how one person can control so much.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The queen was claimed a playing field near where I used to live and made it into some statue thing for a local church.

Damn I loved playing on that field! See one person can do a lot, its just the royal family tend to do erm........?!?!

·
Registered
173 Posts
What, another vague and confusing executive order in Dubai? Life goes on then :)

J

·
0 Posts
All New Year Eve's parties / night clubs will be closed as Sheikh Maktoum said so

I Just got the message from a few colleagues at work... they are all pissed that all clubs are to be shut tonite. Sheikh Maktoum order this last nite... and I'm trying the article online but unable to? Can anyone else confirm?

·
Registered
173 Posts
No one is really sure at the moment as the news reported "all forms of celebration"

I am waiting for our PRO and Comms team to issue the interpretation to us this afternoon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The only news has been on Agency wire:

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates: Dubai's ruler has ordered the cancellation of all New Year's celebrations in the freewheeling Gulf city state because of the violence in Gaza.
Emirates news agency WAM said Tuesday that Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum called off "all forms of celebrations" but did not elaborate.
The order calls for Dubai instead to mark the new year "with a somber tone as a token of solidarity" with the Palestinian people and with the Gaza Strip in particular.
It was not immediately clear when the ban would take effect or whether it would apply to the scores of bars and restaurants planning pricey New Year's Eve events.

There is no further information yet...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The Knowledge - Dubai News, Opinion, Comments, Blogs & Interviews - TimeOutDubai.com

Food & drink served but no fireworks.

It looks as though some NYE events may go ahead tonight.

Most hotels that we spoke to confirmed that dinners would be going ahead but that their would be no fireworks or celebrations.

The Arabian Park Hotel, The Monarch, Intercontinental Dubai Festival City, Crowne Plaza, Taj Palace Hotel and The Capitol Hotel have confirmed to Time Out that their dinners will go ahead tonight.

The Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Habtoor Grand, One & Only Royal Mirage, have all told us that they should have a decision by 10am.

More to follow….

Time Out Dubai 31 December 2008

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
A case of 'it's my country and I'll do what I want to'.

The hoteliers/event managers etc must be absolutely pulling their hair out as very little information has been provided and they really don't know what they can and can't do. Businesses are going to lose a lot of money this evening and I am sure the tourists are none too happy either.

-

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.