Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
We are very interested in purchasing some land in France for maybe 10-15k. My question is regarding planning permission. Do we need planning permission for a small dwelling such as a cabin.
My apologies if this is a stupid question.
Thanks all.

Richie.

·
Administrator
50,466 Posts
When you buy land in France, you need to consult the POS or whatever they call the planning map these days. (Seriously, the name keeps changing.) Some parcels of land are constructable and others aren't. Then, there is the issue of whether or not a plot has the necessary utility hook-ups in place (assuming it is constructable).

Then, according to the classification of the parcel, you can see what the specific building requirements are. There are usually restrictions on the placement of any building on the property, how far it has to be from adjacent roads or other buildings in the area, and specific restrictions on height, size, style, etc.

It is a good chance to get to know the local mairie staff.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Yes, Bev is correct.....make friends at the mairie, really the centre of power and information for land related questions.

If you find parcelle then talk in detail with the notaire. I've always found them helpful. Prepare your questions before you go !

In France the building regs for both habitation and non habitation are changing...and becoming more and more stringent.

DejW

When you buy land in France, you need to consult the POS or whatever they call the planning map these days. (Seriously, the name keeps changing.) Some parcels of land are constructable and others aren't. Then, there is the issue of whether or not a plot has the necessary utility hook-ups in place (assuming it is constructable).

Then, according to the classification of the parcel, you can see what the specific building requirements are. There are usually restrictions on the placement of any building on the property, how far it has to be from adjacent roads or other buildings in the area, and specific restrictions on height, size, style, etc.

It is a good chance to get to know the local mairie staff.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi all
We are very interested in purchasing some land in France for maybe 10-15k. My question is regarding planning permission. Do we need planning permission for a small dwelling such as a cabin.
My apologies if this is a stupid question.
Thanks all.

Richie.
Before you go far into a purchase, make sure your notaire consults SAFER re droit de préemption.
La pr?emption des Safer - La pr?emption

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
As said, tell your notaire you want to build on the land and he'll make sure that all the necessary permissions are in place before the sale goes through.

However I would suggest you don't buy land now, with a view to building on it several years down the line. Planning permission does not last indefinitely, and just because the land is classed as constructible now, doesn't mean that permission will be renewed if you let it expire before you've started the build. Not a few Brits have bought land to build on, sat on it for too long, and then discovered that what they have is a piece of land that can't be built on because the town planning zones have changed.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Any land that can be built on is usually included in the equivalent of the local plan usually referred to as PLU or Plan Local d'Urbanisme;within the PLU envelope plots need a CU a certificat d'urbanisme stating that they are suitable to be built on.If anyone is trying to sell you land for building then you need to be ensure that it is permissible to build on it.French planning is much more structured and regulated than in the uk so if you do have your eye on a piece of land then as others have said the maire is your first port of call

1 - 7 of 7 Posts