Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently moved to Monterrey Mexico. Does anyone know of any expat groups/clubs that I could join? I don't speak Spanish and feeling a bit lonely. I need to find a way to start integrating. Also, I am looking for a good hair salon!

Thanks!
BKristi

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You are in the enviable position of being forced to speak Spanish. It should expedite your eventual fluency. Anyway, welcome & hang in there. Someone will respond, or you'll just trip over some other expats. Monterrey is full of US/Mexican businesses and there are a lot of bilingual folks in that city.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello! I'm in Monterrey as well. I came here for luuuurrrve (like so many others) but I have no friends and I'm having trouble learning Spanish because I'm at home all day while my boyfriend is at university. I started doing Skype lessons with a school called NuLengua, which I would recommend. It's quite cheap too.

What brings you to Monterrey?

Also, I am looking for a good hair salon!
Haha! I was just thinking this, as I haven't had a haircut in 5 months...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello! I'm in Monterrey as well. I came here for luuuurrrve (like so many others) but I have no friends and I'm having trouble learning Spanish because I'm at home all day while my boyfriend is at university. I started doing Skype lessons with a school called NuLengua, which I would recommend. It's quite cheap too.

What brings you to Monterrey?

Haha! I was just thinking this, as I haven't had a haircut in 5 months...
I am here for love also. He is Mexican and I am here now to see if I can actually live in Mexico. This visit I have been here for a month so far. Learning Spanish is definitely going to be a process. I had a tutor, but I didn't think he was doing much for me. Now I have CD's that I am listening to. Plus there's Spanish all around...something has to eventually absorb in my brain!

So far, I have only found a yoga studio that has a teacher that speaks English and I was going to try to find a pilates also. I am living in Contry. I'm very much feeling like a fish out of water now. Im hoping this is only a phase until I become more acclamated.

Anyway, the search for a hair salon continues! I was in San Pedro by the Palacio and saw a salon that appeared to be very busy. I might go back and check it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also feel like a fish out of water here. It's weird because I've always been very independent, and now I find myself extremely dependent on my boyfriend. I know it won't always be like this though!

I'm in Roma Sur... quite close to Contry. We could meet outside the university sometime and go for a walk if you feel like it! I think that's safe enough during the day, haha. I swear I'm not an undercover drug lord.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hey there. I have been here in MTY for a little over a year. I live in San Jeronimo. Let me know if you have any questions on areas or things to do. MTY is a great city with lots of things to do and see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi ConorKilleen.
Do you know of any walking clubs or yoga/gym that have English speaking members or classes? I am also looking for a good hair salon. :) I am located in Contry, but I have a car. So driving to San Pedro, etc. is not a problem.

Thanks for your help.
BKristi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also feel like a fish out of water here. It's weird because I've always been very independent, and now I find myself extremely dependent on my boyfriend. I know it won't always be like this though!

I'm in Roma Sur... quite close to Contry. We could meet outside the university sometime and go for a walk if you feel like it! I think that's safe enough during the day, haha. I swear I'm not an undercover drug lord.

Sure. Let me know what day/time works for you. There is a park that I used to walk in across from a church in Roma. I can find out the street names and maybe we could meet there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are in the enviable position of being forced to speak Spanish. It should expedite your eventual fluency. Anyway, welcome & hang in there. Someone will respond, or you'll just trip over some other expats. Monterrey is full of US/Mexican businesses and there are a lot of bilingual folks in that city.
Thanks RVGringo. I needed a reminder that I AM IN an enviable position.
Have a great day!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently moved to Monterrey Mexico. Does anyone know of any expat groups/clubs that I could join? I don't speak Spanish and feeling a bit lonely. I need to find a way to start integrating. Also, I am looking for a good hair salon!

Thanks!
BKristi
Hi. I have been living in Mexico for almost two years now in the state of Guanajuato. I am an English teacher and the basic rule of thumb is to try and learn a new sentence everyday. Start out basic and do not be afraid to simply practice and speak. Watching movies in English with Spanish subtitles will also help. I too am moving to Monterrey in early July as I have accepted a position with a bilingual school there. I am looking for expat groups and organizations there as well. Should you find any, please let me know and I will do the same. Saludos y bienvenida a Mexico.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!
BKristi
The American Society of Monterrey (ASOMO) does a monthly get-together/happy hour and also has occasional group walks on the Calzada in San Pedro on Sunday. Their website is defunct, but you can reach the organizers at asomo.mty AT gmail.

I got my hair cut last month at O Spa/Salon in San Pedro. It's high end (read = very pricey) but some of the stylists speak English and they did a great job.

I just moved to Monterrey myself and am looking to meet people. Contact me offline if you're getting a group together.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The American Society of Monterrey (ASOMO) does a monthly get-together/happy hour and also has occasional group walks on the Calzada in San Pedro on Sunday. Their website is defunct, but you can reach the organizers at asomo.mty AT gmail.

I got my hair cut last month at O Spa/Salon in San Pedro. It's high end (read = very pricey) but some of the stylists speak English and they did a great job.

I just moved to Monterrey myself and am looking to meet people. Contact me offline if you're getting a group together.
Could you define "very pricey?"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi. I have been living in Mexico for almost two years now in the state of Guanajuato. I am an English teacher and the basic rule of thumb is to try and learn a new sentence everyday. Start out basic and do not be afraid to simply practice and speak. Watching movies in English with Spanish subtitles will also help. I too am moving to Monterrey in early July as I have accepted a position with a bilingual school there. I am looking for expat groups and organizations there as well. Should you find any, please let me know and I will do the same. Saludos y bienvenida a Mexico.
I will keep you posted. Thanks for the Spanish tips as well. If you don't mind, what school will you be teaching at? One of my boyfriends good friends owns a language school here. Just curious....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try watching novelas... I find them dumb, but their speech is usually slow and their acting so overdone that you can get what they say easily... I learnt English mostly by videogames, music and chat rooms, try picking some music in Spanish, that helps geting you used to the phonetics. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to Monterrey Also

I too am new to Monterrey also and am interested in connecting with other expats. BTW, I know many English speaking professionals in Monterrey who have been here a long time and know the city well. If you would like to connect let me know...Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
By the way, from this month and on, having temperatures of 30°c (86°f?) will be more and more common... and I don't even want to talk about August...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am seriously lost on this one. You don't speak Spanish, but you're here to see if it's going to work out on a permanent basis, but you want to hang around English speakers. If xenophobia is the fear of foreigners, what's the phobia for learning languages??

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I am seriously lost on this one. You don't speak Spanish, but you're here to see if it's going to work out on a permanent basis, but you want to hang around English speakers. If xenophobia is the fear of foreigners, what's the phobia for learning languages??
Live and let live, none of us have the right to judge others desires!

Jo xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
expat groups

I'm looking for expat clubs too!!! Where do you live? I'm in San Pedro. Please let me know if you find any.

Tnks :)
Cristy

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
It's only logical that a newcomer to Mexico will look for some friends who speak English. This doesn't mean he won't also begin to learn Spanish and make Mexican friends too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.