Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and good luck in moving to Brittany. This is my first posting on this expat forum, having just joined!
I'm looking to buy a holiday home in Brittany and am visiting on 5th March. I have 2 houses to view, 1 near Plemet and the other near Les Forges. Does anyone know these areas? What are they like? Any tips on the area or buying gerenrally. Cheers !Ian
:clap2:

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hi and good luck in moving to Brittany. This is my first posting on this expat forum, having just joined!
I'm looking to buy a holiday home in Brittany and am visiting on 5th March. I have 2 houses to view, 1 near Plemet and the other near Les Forges. Does anyone know these areas? What are they like? Any tips on the area or buying gerenrally. Cheers !Ian
:clap2:
Are you committed to Brittany for any particular reason ?

The reason for asking is 'cos it isn't the cheapest area of France, and is already - reputedly - saturated by expats. Tho I agree it is a lovely part of France, and the density of expats all over France is increasing.

Here in the Auvergne, prices are still reasonably reasonable, and altho there are loads of expats here, we're fairly widely spread over a large area. If you have a healthy budget & want somewhere fantastic (& emptier most of the year), take a look at properties in Corsica - the south and south-west of the island are much like Brittany in prettiness ! The east coast is more like the mainland atlantic seaboard, and the bits in the middle are much like the Auvergne/Limousin/Alsace-Lorraine and the foothills of the Alps.

And with cheap Easyjet flights from Gatwick, Manchester and Bristol, getting there isn't the extortionate exercise it used to be.

Good luck, whatever.

Hils

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brittany??

Dear Hils,

Thanks for your advice.......just when I hought I'd narrowed it down!!

I will certainly research the places you have suggested and I'm grateful.

I have chosen Brittany fo 2 reasons;
We will be driving with a large young family so its closer and nicer than Normandy I think!!??

Secondly, I seem to have found the right type of house within my budget in Brittany. Heading south generally means more expensive and further to drive.

Thanks Ian:clap2:

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Not sure Brittany's nearer than Normandy ! lol

Couple of things to think about is where you cross the Channel from/to, 'cos the crossings into the North-West corner of France are invariably longer and cost more than to the North-East - & some of them insist you book a cabin which makes things even more expensive. Parts of Brittany are a LONG way from the ports; have you considered drawing lines on a map of France around the arrival port(s) for the maximum travelling time you're prepared to tolerate ? It might surprise you to see how far into the middle of France you can get, as compared to following the Channel coast (on tiny roads). For example, here in the Auvergne, we're an easy drive of 5-6 hours from Le Havre & Dieppe - a couple more from Boulogne & Calais, but it IS a very easy & usually quiet drive following the Bourges-Orleans-Chartres-Rouen route & with the benefit of multiple "pitstop"facilities, which the "little" roads don't offer.

Seeing you're in E Sussex, have you thought maybe about cheap flight destinations out of LGW or Southampton or somewhere, and then keeping a "spare" car at your French house ?

Sorry to confuse the issue. Happy house-hunting.
x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.