Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have just returned from France hoping to have bagged a lot more information than before I went.
This I did and my aim is to take the plunge in September 2016.
I will read any information that anyone has to offer to make the transition a smooth one.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I doubt that anyone can comment on your future transition without knowing what it is that you will be transiting from. What are your circumstances? What will you be doing in France? Working? Retired? Family? Student? Layabout? Entrepreneur? Fes?ckless or fearless?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes new to all this computer stuff especially forums, only used face book yesterday for the first time after my daughter guided me through all the links and pages. My husband and I will be retiring early hoping to move to south west France with two ponies in tow. A few more visits between now and then should shed more light on things.

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
OK, the first big question is : how well do you speak French? You will need a working knowledge of French to get by, especially when it comes to finding provision for your ponies. Also consider how you would get by in any sort of "emergency" situation - calling a doctor, reporting a fire or accident, inquiring about aide or assistance of any sort. If you've got that one knocked, you're probably good to go. (And it's not so much a matter of speaking flawless French - more simply being uninhibited enough to attempt communications until you get your point across and being able to understand the responses.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I think you need to be clear in your onw minds "why France"?

Have you spent 3 weeks + in your target location? France in winter is not the same as a 2 week summer vacation!

Before you move it will be easier if you have sorted out

health care (state cpam and personal health insurance)

bank account

any registration requirements for th 4 legged ones

.....other things can wait until you are here.

Speaking basic French is really a must for living here.

DejW

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
How old are your daughters? will they be making the move with you or staying back in UK? will they need schools? how well do they speak French?

If you are retiring early, you will not be entitled to a S1 from the DWP so you will have to make your own arrangements for healthcare which can be expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bev, I am working on my French it is coming along quite well. We will be renting in France for a year before we make that final decision so ponies will be with us and we are visiting many areas to stay for a week at a time before September to help us decide on a an area.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Very good idea!

DejW

Hi Bev, I am working on my French it is coming along quite well. We will be renting in France for a year before we make that final decision so ponies will be with us and we are visiting many areas to stay for a week at a time before September to help us decide on a an area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, yes working hard on the French, and looking into health care had one quote, my husband will be working in France which is a plus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts