Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Was hoping for some help from people "in the know" we love New South Wales, we have visited on holiday and been to places such as Wollongong, Illawarra, Sydney etc etc. However we are trying to decide on where we should settle when we emigrate at the end of next year. We have 2 children, 1 in secondary school and 1 in primary school. I am a Nurse.

I have looked at lots of places, Wollongong, Newcastle, Thirroul, Port Macquarie.... I am in a word LOST! Can people give me any advice as to family friendly places that they would recommend within NSW. We would consider anywhere. We obviously need the usual good schools etc but obviously need somewhere with a good local hospital (or a few) for jobs etc. We are looking to rent for 6 months to a year before buying so 'reasonable' house prices are also a big consideration. Would love to hear some first hand experiences and views on anywhere in NSW that you live/have lived. Good and Bad please.

Thank you SO much :) x

·
Registered
17 Posts
I lived in Sydney for 12 years but the areas I would recommend (while all near excellent hospitals) do not fit the bill of 'affordable'. Anywhere near Sydney that's 'affordable' is not great. Anywhere you live in Australia will be family friendly. The weather promotes an outdoor lifestyle & children are tolerated in most environments. As a starting point, decide what sort of size of town you'd like to live in and see which have decent sized hospitals. For school info check out myschool.edu.au to find local schools in any area and their results.

If the lure of Australia is the excellent weather and you are not married to the idea of NSW, it's worth mentioning that the largest hospital in Australia has just opened (and is recruiting nurses from overseas), just inland from the Sunshine Coast, which is an area about an hour north of Brisbane. There are towns and communities to suit all tastes between the coast and the mountains.
Welcome to Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital
Come and Experience Life and Work in Australia
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts