Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

For anyone in SA who's now a permanent resident there is new free or subsidised training starting from July 1st. We had a speaker about it come to our local Rotary club. The idea is that if you have more skills that it's easier to find a job.

Like a said though it's only for permanent residents or citizens.....

I thought some of you might be interested and I'm certainly looking at taking some courses. The website is still in development (and it's a bit clumsy)...

Training & learning | Skills for All

Cheers,
Karen

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Karen

I am about to join a certificate course in Business Administration, just for killing time, it is a certificate lll course, next will be a certificate lV, both are for 2 weeks each, govt funded but the eligibility is, 1, you have to be a PR or citizen, 2. upgrading your skill. But you can only do 2 courses in a year, there are a few others that i came across but for those you have to be employed, they are 6-9 month courses, usually online and the employer pays for them which is refunded later to the employer.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Karen

I am about to join a certificate course in Business Administration, just for killing time, it is a certificate lll course, next will be a certificate lV, both are for 2 weeks each, govt funded but the eligibility is, 1, you have to be a PR or citizen, 2. upgrading your skill. But you can only do 2 courses in a year, there are a few others that i came across but for those you have to be employed, they are 6-9 month courses, usually online and the employer pays for them which is refunded later to the employer.
Hi Anj,

For the courses in SA you can do as many as you like and anything below cert III is free (gov funded).

I'm thinking about doing some financial services courses. I was thinking about home sustainability courses to do energy assessments (which will become law in SA in the next few years) but after the mess up with the last training I decided to give it a miss for now.

Who are you signed with for getting the cert III & cert IV funded? That could be an option for me too but so far all the ones I've seen have wanted some money for the cert III and cert IV courses and business is slow at the moment....

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Apti.edu.au, there is another one who sent an email, Pinnacle Training - Home, not sure how these guys arebut apti has classes everyday, 9 30 to 4 30 for 9 working days and pinnacle has classes twice a week, it might suit those who are working part time and can not take an off for the entire week.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, I need the training online because I live in a regional area and the local TAFE doesn't do all the courses that I want.

I'll take a look and see if they do online training too - thanks Anj.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey Kat, the list is fantastic thank you. I cant find any online providers thou. All TAFESA are full/part time campus studies. With my workload I don't think I'll be able to do that. Did you manage to find any online providers? All the online providers I found so far seem to be on east coast.... :-(

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Kat, the list is fantastic thank you. I cant find any online providers thou. All TAFESA are full/part time campus studies. With my workload I don't think I'll be able to do that. Did you manage to find any online providers? All the online providers I found so far seem to be on east coast.... :-(
As I mentioned I was told that the website it still being updated. There is also a number that you can call for more help.

I've been told by a friend that TAFE often out sources courses and so they are done online but I haven't confirmed this yet.

Since this doesn't start until July I'm guessing that some things are still to be finalised :)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi guys,

For anyone in SA who's now a permanent resident there is new free or subsidised training starting from July 1st. We had a speaker about it come to our local Rotary club. The idea is that if you have more skills that it's easier to find a job.

I thought some of you might be interested and I'm certainly looking at taking some courses. The website is still in development (and it's a bit clumsy)...

Cheers,
Karen
Hi

The website state that :

You are eligible for a government subsidised training place if you either reside or work in South Australia, and you are:

An Australian or New Zealand citizen;
A permanent Australian resident; or
The holder of a state sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residency.

Since I am in 475 , I should be able to apply for this training ...right???

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi

The website state that :

You are eligible for a government subsidised training place if you either reside or work in South Australia, and you are:

An Australian or New Zealand citizen;
A permanent Australian resident; or
The holder of a state sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residency.

Since I am in 475 , I should be able to apply for this training ...right???
I would call the info line number and ask them. I'm not an expert on this - I attended one talk on it and thought it might be helpful for some people on here. :)
I was simply told it was for residents and citizens but I didn't check the website since I'm a citizen now. The website obviously says something different so I would call to confirm it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi Karen;
I am also looking forward to attending this training program...hopefully will find something...
coming to Adelaide on 7th July on a PR visa...:)

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Karen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.