Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
This is for people seeking ILR... if you're looking to apply for the second FLR(M) form (i.e. you are nearing the end of your first 2.5 year visa), then this is not the form for you to use.

Reactions: Lihong

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
Ouch!

The fee

If you are a single applicant on form SET(M) and no dependants are applying with you, there is a fee of £2297 for standard applications made by post.
Also, beware that you have all of your i's dotted and t's crossed and submit all of your documents/information because they reserve the right to return the application to you less a £25/pp administration fee

The fee charged is for the processing and consideration of the application. This fee will be payable once the application form is received by the Home Office or its payment processing agent, regardless of the outcome of the application. If your application contains errors or is missing information it may be rejected as invalid. Your application will not be considered and your fee will be refunded less an administration fee of £25 for each person included in the application.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'The dates of the items of correspondence should be spread evenly over the whole period you are relying on'

This suggests that the official correspondence submitted as evidence of living together should cover the entire five years! What do you think WCCG? In any case it would be advisable to keep all correspondence for the entire period.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I would actually believe that "the whole period you are relying on" would, like the FLR(M) application, refer to the previous period of leave, rather than the whole 5 years. After all, if you're at the point where you are applying for ILR on the family route, you've already shown 2.5 years ago that you and your spouse have been living together for the initial period of leave to remain.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
I would actually believe that "the whole period you are relying on" would, like the FLR(M) application, refer to the previous period of leave, rather than the whole 5 years. After all, if you're at the point where you are applying for ILR on the family route, you've already shown 2.5 years ago that you and your spouse have been living together for the initial period of leave to remain.
Yes, just 2.5 years from the date of the last visa that you were issued and not the entire 5 year period.

At the end of the initial 2.5 year period, when they issued the second FLR(M), the Home Office were satisfied that you met the conditions set out at that time. Now you're after ILR, so you just have to prove that you have met the conditions from the date of that last visa until now.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
More Skype mums and dads
How so?

As I specified in the first reply, this form is for people who have been here for 5 years as the spouse/partner of a UK citizen... it's the last hurdle to overcome before one is eligible to apply to be naturalised.

If you've only been here for 2.5 years and are looking to renew your visa, you will use form FLR(M).

Once the ink dries on your ILR approval (which is what the SET(M) form is used for), you can turn around and apply for citizenship and a UK passport (provided that you meet the residency requirements (i.e. you've not been out of the UK >90 days in the the year leading up to the date of your citizenship application).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.