Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

new rules for health care in spain from april 2014

7K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  xabiaxica 
#1 ·
Heard on grape vine that as from 2014 uk expats by nhs health care. Is this correct, I am thinking of coming over next year. I am retired but my partner is not. Any info much appreciated.
Thanks. Keith

#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
????

Why should they leave Spain??

If they are here already then the changes will have no effect!

If they are pensioners here then the changes will have no effect!

The changes only affect people moving to Spain after March next year and then only for NON-pensioners. Put simply, early retirees will have to fund the first couple of years health care where, in the past, they might have had reciprocal cover via the S1.

#12 ·
No as it does not effect anyone already there. We will be arriving, and not worried, as we had always included PH care in our figures, the fact the we are arriving in time to get an S1 is a bonus and for us the first thing we have ever timed properly!!
exactly!!

although it MIGHT (& I suspect will) affect non-pensioners who have S1s because their partner is paying NI in the UK (or elsewhere) & they qualify for them that way. These have to be renewed annually, & the UK has no legal obligation under EU rules to issue them, any more than the S1s to early retirees, which they are stopping.

however, since Spain has just launched the 'buy in ' scheme, where you pay something like 60€ a month for full access to state healthcare, that might help.

:D missed this one? Will wait for your link Xabiachica
x

#13 ·
a) Proof of actual residence in Spain for a continuous period of one year immediately preceding the date of application of the special agreement.

b) Be registered voters at the time of submitting the application for subscription of the special agreement, in any municipality within the territorial scope to extend their skills to the competent public for subscription.

c) Not having access to a system of public health protection by any other means, either by application of national legislation with EU regulations on social security or bilateral agreements in this matter have been concluded by Spain with other countries.
From what I can see the main criteria is you must have already lived there a year, so if this remains then we will be ok post S1 expiring

Section B

Registered voters? Once you have your paperwork in Spain can you vote? not sure how this works

#16 ·
I shall now make myself really unpopular - altho I'm simply playing devils advocate for a moment.

NI = national insurance. On that basis, now think about House insurance, car insurance, "private" health insurance. How many of those can you stop paying and leave, but then expect them to still cover you because you've paid them £1000s during your life time???? Should we not feel this about NI?? Staying in the UK means you would be covered

Sorry - I'll get me coat :eek:

Jo xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.