Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard on grape vine that as from 2014 uk expats by nhs health care. Is this correct, I am thinking of coming over next year. I am retired but my partner is not. Any info much appreciated.
Thanks. Keith

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
Heard on grape vine that as from 2014 uk expats by nhs health care. Is this correct, I am thinking of coming over next year. I am retired but my partner is not. Any info much appreciated.
Thanks. Keith
:welcome:
I'm not sure what you mean....

if you mean that the UK will stop issuing S1 forms in April next year for non-pensioners, then that apparently IS the case

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...longer-available-after-31st-march-2014-a.html

if so, that's nothing to do with Spain - that's a new UK rule

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Is it just me, or does this mean even more British will leave Spain?
????

Why should they leave Spain??

If they are here already then the changes will have no effect!

If they are pensioners here then the changes will have no effect!

The changes only affect people moving to Spain after March next year and then only for NON-pensioners. Put simply, early retirees will have to fund the first couple of years health care where, in the past, they might have had reciprocal cover via the S1.

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
????

Why should they leave Spain??

If they are here already then the changes will have no effect!

If they are pensioners here then the changes will have no effect!

The changes only affect people moving to Spain after March next year and then only for NON-pensioners. Put simply, early retirees will have to fund the first couple of years health care where, in the past, they might have had reciprocal cover via the S1.
exactly!!

although it MIGHT (& I suspect will) affect non-pensioners who have S1s because their partner is paying NI in the UK (or elsewhere) & they qualify for them that way. These have to be renewed annually, & the UK has no legal obligation under EU rules to issue them, any more than the S1s to early retirees, which they are stopping.

however, since Spain has just launched the 'buy in ' scheme, where you pay something like 60€ a month for full access to state healthcare, that might help.

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
as snikpoh said, it won't make a difference for the vast majority already here

and it's not just Spain, either - they won't be issuing them to anyone in those circumstances, going anywhere

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
exactly!!

although it MIGHT (& I suspect will) affect non-pensioners who have S1s because their partner is paying NI in the UK (or elsewhere) & they qualify for them that way. These have to be renewed annually, & the UK has no legal obligation under EU rules to issue them, any more than the S1s to early retirees, which they are stopping.

however, since Spain has just launched the 'buy in ' scheme, where you pay something like 60€ a month for full access to state healthcare, that might help.
Hi Lynn, where do I find details of this 'buy in scheme' - they seem to have kept it VERY quiet?

Is that 60€ per person or per family? Would it be 300 for us (5 x 60)?

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
Hi Lynn, where do I find details of this 'buy in scheme' - they seem to have kept it VERY quiet?

Is that 60€ per person or per family? Would it be 300 for us (5 x 60)?
per person I believe

I'll track the link down later - have to run to the day job now!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
per person I believe I'll track the link down later - have to run to the day job now!!
I agree with Lynn, it clearly states its per individual. Having said that, as far as I can see here http://www.seg-social.es/Internet_6/Masinformacion/TramitesyGestiones/AsistenciaSanitaria/index.htm it says that children receive the same cover as spanish residents, but I can't see how they register.

As far paying is concerned, its RD 576/2013 which you can find here http://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2013-8190 its been in force since 1st September.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi Lynn, where do I find details of this 'buy in scheme' - they seem to have kept it VERY quiet? Is that 60€ per person or per family? Would it be 300 for us (5 x 60)?
Just suddenly realised, you've been here since 2007, and i'd be surprised if you didn't register on the Registro de Extranjeros (the green certificate) before 24th April 2012. Assuming this is the case, and your income is below €100,000, then you would qualify for free heathcare under ley 1192/2012.
http://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2012-10477

You just need a letter from Newcastle to say you have no rights to healthcare in the UK. The link i posted to the INSS, has a link to the form. Let me know if you can't find it.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Just suddenly realised, you've been here since 2007, and i'd be surprised if you didn't register on the Registro de Extranjeros (the green certificate) before 24th April 2012. Assuming this is the case, and your income is below €100,000, then you would qualify for free heathcare under ley 1192/2012.
BOE.es - Documento BOE-A-2012-10477

You just need a letter from Newcastle to say you have no rights to healthcare in the UK. The link i posted to the INSS, has a link to the form. Let me know if you can't find it.
Please, please, let's not start all this again.

We know what the law says and we know what the officials in Valencia say - they are NOT the same.

We went through the entire process twice - with all the correct paperwork and with help from the consulate. In the end the consulate admitted defeat and told us to give up trying - despite having the law on our side!

·
Registered
U.K.
8,996 Posts

No as it does not effect anyone already there. We will be arriving, and not worried, as we had always included PH care in our figures, the fact the we are arriving in time to get an S1 is a bonus and for us the first thing we have ever timed properly!!
exactly!!

:D missed this one? Will wait for your link Xabiachica
x

·
Registered
U.K.
8,996 Posts
a) Proof of actual residence in Spain for a continuous period of one year immediately preceding the date of application of the special agreement.

b) Be registered voters at the time of submitting the application for subscription of the special agreement, in any municipality within the territorial scope to extend their skills to the competent public for subscription.

c) Not having access to a system of public health protection by any other means, either by application of national legislation with EU regulations on social security or bilateral agreements in this matter have been concluded by Spain with other countries.
From what I can see the main criteria is you must have already lived there a year, so if this remains then we will be ok post S1 expiring

Section B

Registered voters? Once you have your paperwork in Spain can you vote? not sure how this works

·
Registered
765 Posts
Please, please, let's not start all this again.

We know what the law says and we know what the officials in Valencia say - they are NOT the same.

We went through the entire process twice - with all the correct paperwork and with help from the consulate. In the end the consulate admitted defeat and told us to give up trying - despite having the law on our side!
Well, if you want me to stop trying to make helpful comments I will. However, having said that, the law that allows you to pay is all part of the same law that entitles you to free healthcare.

I don't know when you tried, but it is of course possible that the training has caught up. The link I provided actually goes to the form you have to complete, where you certify your income, as well as it actually says on the INSS site link.

My private health expires at the of the year, and as I have to cancel by the end of the month I registered in Denia last week. Made an appointment online, went in with the paperwork. Took us 10 minutes, absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
765 Posts
From what I can see the main criteria is you must have already lived there a year, so if this remains then we will be ok post S1 expiring

Section B

Registered voters? Once you have your paperwork in Spain can you vote? not sure how this works
When it says registered voter, it means being on the "padron" which is the voting register, and allows you to vote in local and european (but not national) elections. Y

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I shall now make myself really unpopular - altho I'm simply playing devils advocate for a moment.

NI = national insurance. On that basis, now think about House insurance, car insurance, "private" health insurance. How many of those can you stop paying and leave, but then expect them to still cover you because you've paid them £1000s during your life time???? Should we not feel this about NI?? Staying in the UK means you would be covered

Sorry - I'll get me coat :eek:

Jo xx

·
Registered
765 Posts
I shall now make myself really unpopular - altho I'm simply playing devils advocate for a moment.

NI = national insurance. On that basis, now think about House insurance, car insurance, "private" health insurance. How many of those can you stop paying and leave, but then expect them to still cover you because you've paid them £1000s during your life time???? Should we not feel this about NI?? Staying in the UK means you would be covered

Jo xx
Out the door with no coat:)

but seriously, they're just trying to regularise something which is already happening.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,996 Posts

Jo xx
To be honest there is a part of me that totally agrees with you. Yes if people stay in the UK they will be covered, but then again, arrive in the UK, and you are still covered. I don't know, to be honest I no longer care. If I can benefit from free health care then I will, if I have to pay, then I will, I am at this point beyond caring.
Dont get your coat:lalala: xxxxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
To be honest there is a part of me that totally agrees with you. Yes if people stay in the UK they will be covered, but then again, arrive in the UK, and you are still covered. I don't know, to be honest I no longer care. If I can benefit from free health care then I will, if I have to pay, then I will, I am at this point beyond caring.
Dont get your coat:lalala: xxxxx
I totally agree with you and know how you feel! I just thought I'd post another way of looking at it!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
15,658 Posts

Jo xx
NI isn't the same as private insurance. You pay your contributions over the years you are working, in order to get entitlement to certain benefits when you are no longer working, including state pensions, jobseekers' allowance and maternity allowance.

You can be entitled to free healthcare even if you have never paid a penny in NI, because in the UK access to the NHS is based (until now at least!) on residency.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts