Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently moved to Beaulieu sur mer France outside of Nice. I would like to meet people on the forum to exchange ideas and strategies on life in France. Friendship is welcome too for anyone living in the area.

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi Alex!
Welcome!
I'm living a bit higher up, in Ardèche. Where are you from originally?
How is it going so far?
Looking forward to "seeing" you around the forum!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Alex!
Welcome!
I'm living a bit higher up, in Ardèche. Where are you from originally?
How is it going so far?
Looking forward to "seeing" you around the forum!
Hi Bluesma, cool.this forum is friendly. Thanks for the reply. Im from South Florida but moved to Medellin Colombia a five years back and then recently to BSM.

I would say each day i am in France I'm gald i moved here. The summers especially are nice. I hike almost everyday and take a swim a few times a week. I feel fortunate. Im struggling learning the language and its difficult to find service people to do work around the apartment but that seems minor. I wake up excited for the day generally.

Ardeche i habe not heard of. What brought you there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum Alex.. If you're living in Beaulieu-sur-mer I'd say that we're the ones who could learn 'ideas and strategies on life' from you!

From here, it looks wonderful!

How long have you been there and how have you found it so far?

Pip
Hey Pip. I agree Beaulieu is very nice. I found my place in December 2015 but only managed to live here 6 months total so far. I havent found a prettier region in Europe yet so i think this will be home summers and fall if i can workout my visa sitaution. Currently on an tourist visa. 90 days every 180. How about yourself? What brought you to France?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum Alex.. If you're living in Beaulieu-sur-mer I'd say that we're the ones who could learn 'ideas and strategies on life' from you! :D

Pip
Looks beautiful - most definitely out of my reach :sad:
Just as well I'm a simple person with simple tastes. :)

Welcome to France and to the forum, Alex.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum Alex.. If you're living in Beaulieu-sur-mer I'd say that we're the ones who could learn 'ideas and strategies on life' from you!

Pip
Looks beautiful - most definitely out of my reach

Just as well I'm a simple person with simple tastes.

Welcome to France and to the forum, Alex.
Thank you:) i live a simple life as well here in France. That was the main draw away for South Florida

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks beautiful - most definitely out of my reach :sad:
Just as well I'm a simple person with simple tastes. :)
Same here but I could get used to it! :D

What brought me to France Alex?
We had a holiday in the Pays Basque in 1991 and for me, it had an impact on me like this..

As we drove away, we were planning our next visit. Then we decided to move here one day. We moved here in 2007 - and it worked out perfectly for us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had a similar reaction. I was looking all over Europe for 3 Months to find the right place to lay my head and my last stop was Nice which I had never really wanted to visit. Nice of Ok bu I rented a scooter and drove into the villages on the coast and was blown away.

Born in Northern Minnesota I could never even have dreamed of something so nice much less have the opportunity to live here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow I just saw your youtube video of Pays bosque. I think I picked the wrong area to live
I don't think so..
The only problem we have here is the high humidity.. There's the sea on one side, then the Adour and then the Nive.
We've been mulling over the possibilities of moving to the south east - but having thought it all through, this area we are now in still does it for us. If we were to move to the south east, we'd probably end up swapping one problem for several other ones!
Probably end up buying a dehumidifier.. that would solve the problem inside the house.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found June to be humid in the South as well. At least a week of June. July I have been traveling in SE Europe so not sure but I had a portable AC unit delivered so i will hook it up when I get home. Last year it wasn't necessary but this year it bothered me a bit

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome Alex! Your town looks beautiful. I've been here for three years and sadly haven't seen nearly enough of the rest of the country. I'm near Paris, but from Florida as well, although I don't know if little Vero Beach would be considered "south" Florida!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi Bluesma, cool.this forum is friendly. Thanks for the reply. Im from South Florida but moved to Medellin Colombia a five years back and then recently to BSM.

I would say each day i am in France I'm gald i moved here. The summers especially are nice. I hike almost everyday and take a swim a few times a week. I feel fortunate. Im struggling learning the language and its difficult to find service people to do work around the apartment but that seems minor. I wake up excited for the day generally.

Ardeche i habe not heard of. What brought you there?
I'm from California. Vacationed in Florida last year- love it!

The climate is nice here in the south, isn't it?
Ardèche is just a bit higher, in the Rhone Valley. Mostly known for outdoor sports (rafting, canoeing, rock climbing, hang gliding...). It's the only department in France with no train station nor airport. So it's nice for those who like nature.

I always really needed to get away alone in nature, especially in the first few years when I was learning the language and social occasions left me feeling drained.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where in pays basque did you settle? It's one of the areas that we're considering when we make our move in about two years. Did a tour there (both sides of the border) last summer and loved it.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Where in pays basque did you settle? It's one of the areas that we're considering when we make our move in about two years. Did a tour there (both sides of the border) last summer and loved it.
Pip actually lives in Bayonne, which is not the Pays Basque, but the Pyrénées-Atlantiques (although the Pays Basque is within very easy reach).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Pip actually lives in Bayonne, which is not the Pays Basque, but the Pyrénées-Atlantiques (although the Pays Basque is within very easy reach).
EH - you're right about the Pays Basque being within very easy reach.. I step right into it if I open the front door! :D
Look here.
The Pyrénées-Atlantiques is divided into two - the Pays Basque to the west and Béarn to the east. Pau is capital of the department - Pyrénées-Atlantiques - and Bayonne is, for all intents and purposes, the de facto capital of the Pays Basque (the sub-prefect is here).

PS There'll be a test later!;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
We've been here for just shy of 10 years now.
We first considered places like Saint-Jean-de-Luz and Biarritz - but for practical reasons, we decided on Bayonne. It's a working town that hums throughout the year, with the kind of shops and facilities that you need for everyday living - plus the cost per square metre of property is half that of nearby St-J-de-L and Biarritz. Saint-Jean is only 20-25 mins away by car and Biarritz only 10-15 mins.. so we never feel as if we've deprived ourselves by living here.
From here, we can be up in the mountains in less than half and hour - or we can be on the beach in 10 mins. San Sebastian in Spain is 45 mins away and our visitors always enjoy a trip there - it's a very stylish town that seems to have been designed for pedestrians.
We've made good friends here (both French and Basques) through various activities of which there's no shortage..
Nowhere's perfect of course - and what works for us might not work for someone else. Deciding on one location is inevitably a compromise - you shuffle your priorities to see what you can and can't live with. All I know is that we both feel well-rooted here and we've yet to have a day when we've regretted our move to the Pays Basque.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts